Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who was playing around in the clouds yesterday?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did someone soil their pants? ;)

If by "soil" you mean intermingle with urine, feces, blood, bone fragments, seat parts, instrument panel parts, parts of the pax in back, hydraulic fluid, jet-a, aluminium bits, and soil from the Michigan countryside, then the answer would be; very nearly soiled my pants.

Goggles:
Change piper cub to high performance single, and add. Zoom my avatar 2X to remember what you must have seen. I was the one with the rapidly graying hair.

Can you at least tell us what happened?

Coming down the Spartn3 arrival into PTK, just past sprtn, some asswipe was playing around in or near the clouds. As we are decending to 7000, the controller comes on very exited and says;
"0WM! Stop decent! stop decent! turn 150 immediately! traffic just popped up 12 o'clock 1 mile climbing through 6800'!"
At the same time, TCAS says; "traffic" and about 5 seconds later; "decend." The RA was commanding a 2000 FPM decent. Well, since I wrote a paper on the DHL-Tupolev 154 accident once, I began to follow the TCAS instuction. We were very near a nice pretty puffy cloud.
After about 10 seconds the tcas says "climb" and the RA commands a 4000FPM climb.
I pulled as hard as I dared and went to radar power.
The TCAS target was superimposed on our aircraft symbol at our altitude on the 3 mile range at this point.
The hairs on the back of my neck were standing straight up and I was picturing pieces of Falcon 50 spinning down over the Michigan countryside.
As I hit the green band at 4000FPM, the tcas says; "Monitor vertical speed." And then the best thing I've heard in a while; "clear of conflict." The whole thing lasted about 45 seconds.

We never saw the other airplane. ATC says the she's not talking to him as he's VFR. Gave us her number to call when we got on the ground. Called and they were tracking him to have a conversation about proper cloud clearances, but they wouldn't be able to prove there was any violation.
I apologized to the passenger for the ride. He was OK with it, said it was fun

Based on the timing of the TA and RAs, I've come to the conclusion that the other aircraft had to be making extreme manouvers. The RA reversal isn't supposed to happen, and certainly not within 10 seconds. TAs and RAs are supposed to happen 30 seconds apart also.

I'm wondering if there isn't some asswipe who decided it would be fun to try a fighter style intercept on us. At the very least there is a guy there who likes to play VFR in and near the clouds.

I hope the guy popped out and got a windshield full of Falcon 50, and had to clean his shorts.

I hugged my wife and kids extra hard when I got home.
Lets all be careful out there.

We were over at DET a couple weeks ago and saw an SR22 repeatedly make high speed, low approaches over the runway, with steep climbouts. Obviously farting around. Could it have been an SR22?

Disclaimer: I have no problem with high speed passes over a runway with steep climbs, I do have a problem with breaking regs and entering IMC without a clearance.

I popped out on a mile final to some Podunk airport a few weeks back- it was around 500-600 OVC and we were just reaching MDA on the GPS approach. When I popped out there was a crop duster on a close in right base, so that got my heart going. I kept thinking, "Wow, if we would have left 10 seconds later, SPLAT." Broke off an went to the downwind, then had a chat with them on the ground...no arse chewing, just asking them if they had radios, but they didn't, lol. Got to talking about what they were doing, etc. Nice guys just ferrying the planes...there were two of them. I guess technically they may have been legal with Class E starting @ 700, but geez, gets your heart going.

Glad you're alright Rick!

Coming down the Spartn3 arrival into PTK, just past sprtn, some asswipe was playing around in or near the clouds. As we are decending to 7000, the controller comes on very exited and says;
"0WM! Stop decent! stop decent! turn 150 immediately! traffic just popped up 12 o'clock 1 mile climbing through 6800'!"
At the same time, TCAS says; "traffic" and about 5 seconds later; "decend." The RA was commanding a 2000 FPM decent. Well, since I wrote a paper on the DHL-Tupolev 154 accident once, I began to follow the TCAS instuction. We were very near a nice pretty puffy cloud.
After about 10 seconds the tcas says "climb" and the RA commands a 4000FPM climb.
The TCAS target was superimposed on our aircraft symbol at our altitude on the 3 mile range at this point.
The hairs on the back of my neck were standing straight up and I was picturing pieces of Falcon 50 spinning down over the Michigan countryside.
As I hit the green band at 4000FPM, the tcas says; "Monitor vertical speed." And then the best thing I've heard in a while; "clear of conflict." The whole thing lasted about 45 seconds.

We never saw the other airplane. ATC says the she's not talking to him as he's VFR. Gave us her number to call when we got on the ground. Called and they were tracking him to have a conversation about proper cloud clearances, but they wouldn't be able to prove there was any violation.

Based on the timing of the TA and RAs, I've come to the conclusion that the other aircraft had to be making extreme manouvers. The RA reversal isn't supposed to happen, and certainly not within 10 seconds. TAs and RAs are supposed to happen 30 seconds apart also.

I'm wondering if there isn't some asswipe who decided it would be fun to try a fighter style intercept on us. At the very least there is a guy there who likes to play VFR in and near the clouds.

I hope the guy popped out and got a windshield full of Falcon 50, and had to clean his shorts.

WOW.... I've heard a story floating around about some a-hole in an extra 300 that was chasing and airplane around a few years back and doing the old fighter style intercept... I think it might have been a MEsaba flight but can't remember. Glad you're still with us!

I had 3, yes 3 RA's on my trip to CRQ. 1 going in, 2 going out. ALL below 3000ft. On the climb out we had to climb steeply to aviod one guy and that put us in a conflict with another! wheeew! Interesting you got a decent first followed by a climb later from the same plane, sure there wasn't two??

Whatever it is you hoped to say, it certainly sounds dramatic. Perhaps next time in complete, intelligible sentences, and you might just have it.

Wait a minute, I think I can translate...

"Nope, i was in CYYT doing broken glass approch?"

No, I was attempting to land at St. Johns airport in an INOP G1000 equipped aircraft.

"almost soiled myself after 4th approch told controller to give me time to work problem they approved."

I became concerned after my 4th missed approach. I requested a delay vector to see if I could diagnose the problem, which they approved.

"Successful landing 400OC about 1 to 1.5 mile Vis Broken Glass....."

I managed to land with mins at 400 overcast, about a mile of visibility and the panel still not working.

"Aboout 9 hours in avionics shop to fix.. software next day."

The avionics shop billed 9 hours for the repair, they had to reload the software so the plane wasn't ready until the next day.

"172 off to LPAZ from CYYT to Tomorrow.... Afternoon"

Tomorrow afternoon I fly the 172 from St Johns to Santa maria.

There you go! I also speak jive and ebonics...

Latest resources

Back