Who wants to be a pilot!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
Flying is still a great career. Where else can a guy without a college degree have a good chance of making $100K yr with 12-16 days off per month by his early 30's. If you really like to fly and are not in it for respect, prestige, $100K to start out, it is a great place to do something you love and be paid for it. Many people only dream about a job like that. There are too many negative vibes on this board. This might tend to discourage a person who thinking about flying as a career. Do not be discouraged, flying is still a great career. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to fly.

Just curious. Where is the "guy without a college degreee in his early 30's" who is making $100K/yr with 16 days off working?

The only lawyers that I know that don't make much aren't very good or are ambulance chasers. The rest have all done very well. Being a good lawyer is usually just dependent on grades to start off. It's the ones with low B's or less that aren't very well paid. However being a pilot means you have to meet certain criteria. Once it is met what else is there? You meet PTS on something you get your rating and on paper you're as qualified as the next, hours pending.

pilotyip said:
Flying is still a great career. Where else can a guy without a college degree have a good chance of making $100K yr with 12-16 days off per month by his early 30's. If you really like to fly and are not in it for respect, prestige, $100K to start out, it is a great place to do something you love and be paid for it. Many people only dream about a job like that. There are too many negative vibes on this board. This might tend to discourage a person who thinking about flying as a career. Do not be discouraged, flying is still a great career. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to fly.

I don't mean to be an ass. I really don't. But woooo----owwwww! Where are these guys?!!! I'm a college graduate ten years out, mid-thirties, trying to keep binky from killing me every day in a trainer. I'm smack-dab in the middle of your demographic and I gotta tell ya, I don't know a single person that makes that kinda cash.

I know those GV jobs are around here and there, but honestly, let's face facts and admit that most of us (> 90%) don't make anywhere near that. A significant chunk of us are probably unemployed. I think a good chance is awfully optimistic.

Last edited:
When I left the factory, I was packing ass wipe in a case by hand 21 days a month for for 38K a year. Now I fly an airplane 12 days a month for 41K a year plus perdiem. I think I'm going to stick with the middle ground...SJS means I gotta take a lotta crap and get paid nothing to start and I'm too old to go back to bending over a corrugated box 3,300 times on the night shift...not to mention, I'd be lucky to find a job working at the meat plant deboning the chickens with a bunch of crazy people.

Okay, so being that it's just after 1am, and I'm really tired, I TOTALLY though the title read 'Who wants to DO a pilot?' *laugh* I thought, considering the ratio of males to females on this board that it was strange that Toilet Duck was looking for a hookup.

Duh me....

Catbert said:
I don't mean to be an ass. I really don't. But woooo----owwwww! Where are these guys?!!! I'm a college graduate ten years out, mid-thirties, trying to keep binky from killing me every day in a trainer. I'm smack-dab in the middle of your demographic and I gotta tell ya, I don't know a single person that makes that kinda cash.

I know those GV jobs are around here and there, but honestly, let's face facts and admit that most of us (> 90%) don't make anywhere near that. A significant chunk of us are probably unemployed. I think a good chance is awfully optimistic.

I don't mean to be an ass either but when exactly did you start flying? I think what he was talking about is if you start from the get-go like some do. Mid 30's with less than 1k you're right won't earn you that. However some people by that age may have the requirements. Family friend of mine was either the youngest pilot hired by ups or the youngest to fly their 747. Anyway at 35 yrs old he was capt 747 and making more than what he posted. there is hope. Must have faith. Faith is what makes the world turn. If you don't have it you might just not make it.

Speaking of jobs you love...I've been on reserve for the last 2 weeks and haven't been called once.......can't complain about that :-D

Ailerongirl said:
Okay, so being that it's just after 1am, and I'm really tired, I TOTALLY though the title read 'Who wants to DO a pilot?' *laugh* I thought, considering the ratio of males to females on this board that it was strange that Toilet Duck was looking for a hookup.

Duh me....

Lol yea it's not "who wants to DO a pilot". I'm not shooting that down or anything that just wasn't it.

ToiletDuck said:
I don't mean to be an ass either but when exactly did you start flying? I think what he was talking about is if you start from the get-go like some do. Mid 30's with less than 1k you're right won't earn you that. However some people by that age may have the requirements. Family friend of mine was either the youngest pilot hired by ups or the youngest to fly their 747. Anyway at 35 yrs old he was capt 747 and making more than what he posted. there is hope. Must have faith. Faith is what makes the world turn. If you don't have it you might just not make it.

Hope....is a good thing.

What movie was that from?

Latest resources

Back