• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who takes a 135 Jumpseater

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the key with part 135 jumpseating is if you are SCHEDULED. Example: Airnet and Cape Air are both scheduled. And it's only fair. How can you reciprocate if you don't have published schedules?

I tend to disagree with you pertaining to your above statement... The same case could be made from hotel employees and others who will offer us within the "industry" a very nice discount on rooms, food, etc, etc, when in return they are not ( for the most part) being given any discount on airfare nor can they j/s or "ride" along for free. I think it has much more to do with the "courtesy" factor and very little to do with what they expect in return.

Rental car companies offer most industry discounts, what do we offer them in return.??

c h e e r s

3 5 0

Is it fair??? NO - I wish everyone could get something... I would bend over backwards for anyone who needed anything or asked

Since, Airnet is not a scheduled Part 135 carrier, while Cape Air may be. I worked for Ameriflight a few years ago, and we had a "schedule", however we were considered "on-demand."
Places like Airnet and Ameriflight are "scheduled" by banks per contract with the institution. For example, they'll be needing a Baron available at XYZ airport at 2200 to fly to ABC airport Mon-Thu.

Places like Cape Air and Pacific Wings are scheduled because they publish their schedule and hold them out to public, and as such, fall under a slightly different set of Part 135 rules.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get the Part 135 guys back in the jumpseat soon, but the priority now should be restoring the reciprocal cockpit jumpseat access for all Part 121 pilots.

My problem with 135 is that a great majority of them cannot even take jumpseaters. They fly single pilot in a plane without an autopilot, so no passengers. I used to carry people anyway when I flew 135, but it is borderline legal. You also run across problems with single engine in IFR unless the FAA has changed these rules. I think the specific aircraft has to be approved to carry passenger with certain auxiliary systems and an autopilot if single engine (Caravan). I gave a hard time to an Airnet jumpseater the other day for it but took him on anyway. If you are on our list, and have the proper credentials then you are on board my plane.

When I was flying a Beech 18 I used to carry a jumpseater every so often. (in the right seat)

I think they just enjoyed flying in the old Beech more than just getting a ride to work, or they were just scared.

COEX- If we have seats and you are in uniform w/creds and make it pass the gate NAZI - you can have a seat in my aluminum tube anytime- "BUT YOU GOTTA ASK NICELY!" (a few good men) -- hell I've take helicopter part 135 guys before - they were in uniform and had the creds (no airplane creds) but hell they could operate a helicopter - I am sure they could land an RJ if they had to - Max

In response to what Cheezpilot wrote, a Part 135 cargo operation does not become a passenger flight because they have an air-carrier pilot jumpseating. The FAA allows that other pilot to be considered an "additional crew member." Otherwise, Part 135 companies like Airnet and Ameriflight could not take jumpseaters, because they don't comply with the Part 135 regulations applying to passenger flights. Ameriflight and other Part 135 air cargo companies do legally allow jumpseating pilots from certain other companies -- regardless on whether it is a single-engine, an IFR flight, has autopilot, or other requirements that pertain to 135 passenger flights.

YEs..

I flew 135 freight in NC for Tarheel Aviation a few years back and I carried jumpers as ACM's with no probs.

What about SWA?

Anyone know if its possible for a 135 guy to catch a ride with SWA?
For what its worth, I've never been turned away at ATA and almost always gotten a ride from Frontier.

I just jumpseated on SWA last weekend. My company has a reciprocal agreement with them though.

Latest resources

Back