• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who Qualifies as SIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, a passenger CAN occupy the other pilot seat, he just cannot manipulate the controls (though my "first" flying lesson was in the right seat of an Aztec flying from Friday Harbor to Seattle on SJA @ 16). If I were you, I wouldn't be wearing a uniform occupying the right seat if there is no SIC provision in your company's ops spec. You are not even allowed to safety brief the passengers! It will only take 1 ramp check and your captain is screwed.

Piper877 said:
I believe the answer you're looking for is that under 135 no person may occupy a pilot seat unless he has passed a checkride and is a crewmember or an NTSB or FAA inspector on official duties or an authorized Postal worker.

135.113 - Basically if the aircraft has more than eight seats only qualified persons may occupy a pilot seat. Eight seats or less it is not a legal issue.

135.115 - The "unqualified person" you mention could not manipulate the flight conrols.

Legally I suppose you could stick any person in the right seat if the airplane has eight seats or less to make the customer feel better. Ethically there are issues because I'd wager you wouldn't want to tell the customer what is really going on - the "SIC" is not qualified for the operation because of the lack of compliance with 135 training and a 135.293 ride.

61.51 - Basically, the person you stick in the right couldn't log the time because an SIC is not required by the regulations. They are not allowed to legally manipulate the controls under 135, so they could not log PIC either, even if they are appropriately rated in the aircraft.

If there is something I overlooked please bring it up. Hope this helps.

And...

let's not forget the provision about operable (or inoperable) autopilots and Part 135. But you still need an FAR 135.293 check to be qualified as a 135 crewmember and have an SIC program in your ops specs.

ok everybody. most everybody is right. just trying to say the same thing but differantly because all being pilots it has blinded us into no realizing that we all read the FARs and get differant interpretations.
As I said before ENGLISH,aeronautic1,idratherfly4283, and etc. The concern whether a person can or cannot occupy the right seat that has not passed a Part135 Checkride depends on if the company has a security program or not.

PM me if there is further training needed in this area.

Latest resources

Back