Who Qualifies as SIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyu27

Our company is authorized to conduct single pilot 135 operations. However, most customers require two pilots in the aircraft. Is it "legal" for the company to put a person who is appropriately rated in the aircraft to sit in the right seat (basicaly act as a crewmember) even though they do not have a 135 ride, and just list them as an occupant of the aircraft?

they should just give the cleaning lady Helga,some stripes and a shirt and have her sit up there.

flyu27 said:
Our company is authorized to conduct single pilot 135 operations. However, most customers require two pilots in the aircraft. Is it "legal" for the company to put a person who is appropriately rated in the aircraft to sit in the right seat (basicaly act as a crewmember) even though they do not have a 135 ride, and just list them as an occupant of the aircraft?

They can sit in the right seat as long as they don't touch anything (gear, radios, yoke).

They can't act as a crewmember, but they can assist (point out traffic, read checklists to you, etc.)

Last edited:
I believe the answer you're looking for is that under 135 no person may occupy a pilot seat unless he has passed a checkride and is a crewmember or an NTSB or FAA inspector on official duties or an authorized Postal worker.

splatattack said:
English is right.

I love the sound of that. Can you email that to my husband please???????

If she was indeed correct, then her husband should know, however she is wrong... and most likely if her husband knows anything about this he is indeed right. Yes you can log flight time even if it is not sic certified. There are some ways to do it, but you have had to at least past your 8410 to be able to do so. After that you stretch the regs a little, the faa agrees, and bam you are logging time. If you really want to see the info on how it works pm me and I can get it for ya.

I would be careful on logging SIC time if your company does not have a FAA approved training and checking program for that seat. A future interviewer may question the legality of that time. I have seen guys with 200 hours of BE-200 SIC, that will promt for probing on how you got that time. If you are rated in the airplane, you can log PIC on 91 legs.

Latest resources

Back