• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who might Southwest merge with?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do we really? I've been to lazy to check the list.

Where are they from?
Mostly EAL, but a few from CAL, and one each from Rio and Wien.

I am just sick of PCL 128 and his opinion of Southwest. Just because you got turned down by SWA or NEVER got the call there is no reason to be a hater. No ones dream is to work at Airtran!! Hey, I interviewed and got turned down by UPS my 1 choice, but I am not bitter at UPS or their pilots!!!

I never even applied to SWA, my friend. I grew up and live in tha ATL, so commuting to a SWA base didn't really appeal to me. Glad it works for you, though.

The real question is whether SWA will make the AirTran guys re-interview for their jobs. With SWA's culture and the specific skill set they're looking for...don't think many Air Tran guys can measure up.

If they could, wouldn't they have gone to SWA to begin with?

It depends- How many Colonels does AT have???

Fool- you are being perceived as an A #1 DBag. Like stated previously, we are all professionals trying to make it in this career so we can provide for our families. No airline has better pilots than another airline. There are just as many jerks wherever you go. Trust me, I know a few guys that got hired at SWA who I was surprised got the job because of their demeanor. It happens everywhere.

Just because your airline was smart at hedging fuel doesn't make your pilots any better.

Lay off the testosterone dude.

I'm wanting more InstructorDude input, this thread is boring me.........

Originally Posted by jke406
The real question is whether SWA will make the AirTran guys re-interview for their jobs. With SWA's culture and the specific skill set they're looking for...don't think many Air Tran guys can measure up.

If they could, wouldn't they have gone to SWA to begin with?

Uh...maybe they did not want or have the money to buy their required type rating for the job...

I can't believe we're having a discussion about re-interviewing. That may have been the case with previous airlines that SWA dealt with, but those airlines were made up of a meager handful of airplanes, or were on liquidation's doorstep.

It's a whole different dynamic with AirTran. With them, you're talking about a profitable company with 137 aircraft, a bunch more on order, and 1700+ unionized pilots.

If you merge with the AirTran network on Monday, you have to fly that network on Tuesday or else you will be in bankruptcy court by Friday. To do that you need the pilots who are currently flying those airplanes to stay with those airplanes.

Therefore, re-interviewing is illogical. It will be a merged seniority list with the new airline being very formidable.

The wild card is Delta. Would Delta want to go up against such a combined carrier? Would they abandon the NWA deal and instead shift all resources into perhaps a bidding war with SWA in order to merge with AirTran and thereby keep SWA out of their Atlanta backyard? Surely the DOT would have something to say about this. But Delta weilds a lot of political power with the city of Atlanta who in turn could carry some heavy weight up to DC to do battle with the Feds.

Only time will tell...

Latest resources

Back