• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who Gets Pushed Out by Mesa? AWA/U

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a question, why do we have to be humiliated and take our shoes off, don't we fly the airplanes?

And mine's bigger than yours! Don't be jealous yo...there ain't nothing to hate about. What's wrong with your CEO saying we're the lowest cost operator anyway? You're just a jealous hipocrit. Gotta make the mad cash man because I hate job security...that's exactly what you're saying. Way to go...don't come begging to Mesa for a job...we don't want your skank a$$.

Smaller Type Subscribe to The Republic

Phoenix's Mesa Air could help finance move

Max Jarman
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 21, 2005 12:00 AM

Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group Inc. has a lot riding on a possible America West-US Airways merger and says it is willing to do what it takes to ensure a positive outcome.

That could include providing critical financing needed to bring the deal to fruition and assuming a partnership role in a merged company.

"We've had discussions with them (US Airways Group Inc.) on a whole series of issues, including investing," Mesa Chairman Jonathan Ornstein said. advertisement

US Airways is seeking capital to enable it to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, a prerequisite to a deal with America West Airlines' parent, America West Holdings Corp.

Ornstein noted that Mesa invested $20 million in America West while it was in bankruptcy in the early '90s and made a $47 million profit.

"This is not something we are unfamiliar with," he said.

Regional airline Mesa operates as America West Express, United Express and US Airways Express under code-sharing agreements.

America West and US Airways are Mesa's two largest customers, accounting for 41 percent and 35 percent, respectively, of Mesa's $897 million in annual revenue.

Some news accounts about the possible merger cited sources close to the negotiations as saying US Airways would be required to raise from $350 million to $500 million in new funding and possibly to arrange $250 million in new loans. Mesa has $260 million in cash and is in a position to come into a deal with a significant investment. Such an investment could help preserve Mesa's business relationship with US Airways, which is in jeopardy.

Mesa operates 59 regional jets and 10 turboprops in the eastern United States under its code-sharing agreements with US Airways.

Those agreements have not been affirmed by US Airways in its bankruptcy proceeding and could be rejected. That could force Mesa to ground planes and lay off about 700 pilots and 300 flight attendants.

Mesa's routes also could be given to Air Wisconsin Airlines Corp., which has agreed to lend US Airways $125 million in exchange for rights to fly planes under the US Airways Express flag.

"There is a lot at stake," Ornstein said.

But he added Mesa could survive the loss of the US Airways code-sharing agreements.

"We are the lowest-cost operator of regional jet equipment," Ornstein said. "There are other opportunities for our aircraft that we could pursue."

"We are the lowest-cost operator of regional jet equipment," Ornstein said. "There are other opportunities for our aircraft that we could pursue."

Notice how he didnt say they were the best service provider, etc. Just the cheapest. I think this speaks volumes right there. Always remember the cheapest doesnt get you the best product by a long shot.

bitememesa said:
Way to go...don't come begging to Mesa for a job...we don't want your skank a$$.

Don't worry you have no worries of me even considering applying to MESA I would never stoop that low as to even waste 37 cents on a postage stamp to apply.

IMHO.... What a mess.

Everyone will lose. As far as the race to the bottom goes, this will throw a box of grenades and a few hundred gallons of fuel to the fire.

It will be funny to watch though.... Mesa and Chitaco trying to under bid each other. Talk about a sequal to "Dumb and Dumber".

CHQ Pilots - We'll do it for free!

Mesa Pilots - We'll PAY to do it!

Then you will have all of the furloughed US Air guys displacing the junior AWA guys. They are both ALPA, and US Air is a major player at the country club. Granted, National stays out of mergers, but I'll bet there are some strings pulled on this one.

Latest resources

Back