Who files your flight plans?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tommy Boy said:
Not to mention that the comany drags pilots who are in cgf in maint in to the office to do paperwork and file fltplans. So you have unhappy pilots in there doing the work!! Of course these days pretty much all of our pilots are unhappy pilots.

That's an interesting take. Talking with one of the pilots doing the flight planning, he tells me it is a voluntary program.

As far as the turn times go, it frankly doesn't matter to me what the trip sheet says - I'll take whatever time I need to turn. I, for one, have the cahones to tell them when 22min, or 35min, or even an hour turn won't work for me. It takes whatever it takes. And if filing a flight plan helps the turn time, who cares?

I'm sure it's not a perfect scenario for everyone. Because it works for me, I've chosen to work within the system and provide constructive criticism when I have it. To each their own.

ProFracPilot said:
That's an interesting take. Talking with one of the pilots doing the flight planning, he tells me it is a voluntary program.

They did ask for volunteers but I know several pilots who were told..."You just volunteered"

And this management has burned me too many times. Its time for us to make our own system and let them work with it.

Last edited:
Options folks,

What is a typical day for you like? How many legs and how much time to prepare and turn ect...

First...

on to the flight plans. They screw it up every time. I mean every time. I send them emails to stop, they keep filing. It's a real cluster with them.

Typical day?

depends on what aircraft. On the "pre-owned" Hawkers side. Life is good. 5 - 7 legs a week (we're always broke). Lots of sunny locations (PBI, PHX, DAL, MCC). Ketchin rays, drinkin brews!!!

I actuallly may start to like this job again.

Unlikely, but possible.

hawkercpt said:
On the "pre-owned" Hawkers side. Life is good. 5 - 7 legs a week (we're always broke).

No kidding. Last tour was 5 legs, 3 of them on ferry permits(on the SAME AIRCRAFT). Don't expect this to keep up if you get sent to Pro-Line school for being one of the guys that "leans into the wind"....that's all you! :D

Pro-line?

in my future? Doubt it. Too many ticked off too much at me to be sent. They'll keep "punishing" me in the old stuff. Oh the agony!!!

Some Dude said:
Truth is the our dispatch at "Exec Jet" is overworked and understaffed. Bascially they only have time to flie the plan not much time to prepare a proper flight plan.

So if you see us filed through a level 6 squall line to a closed airport please be patient with our request for a reroute.

How true. Problem is that they are often filed hours in advance. Although, not too long ago it was common to be briefed to go to a closed airport etc. Pilots are not only the last line of defence, they're often the first as well.

When I-jet crashes or the workload is exceptionally high, it's back to normal at NJA, for the pilots. Sometimes though, the folks upstairs can help you out with the routing, release, W&B etc. It's even common for them to do EVERYTHING EXCEPT file. Never figured it out, maybe they don't have the number for 800WX-Brief

Do you fract guys think that the flight planning depts and companies mentioned above know what the preferred routes are departing New England to major destinations east and south?

I ask this because at Boston Center we change roughly 80% of the fract flt plan proposals that pop up. Who has really flown ACK PVD HPN, or BGR HTO JFK, or BHB FXE. This is what we see. You guys are issued the new route we use from the list of preffered routes which are published.

Not complaining here, just wondering if on your trip sheets you see these dream routes listed and wonder why after getting the same re route many times, the correct route is not filed.

CRAWDADDY said:
How true. Problem is that they are often filed hours in advance. Although, not too long ago it was common to be briefed to go to a closed airport etc. Pilots are not only the last line of defence, they're often the first as well.

When I-jet crashes or the workload is exceptionally high, it's back to normal at NJA, for the pilots. Sometimes though, the folks upstairs can help you out with the routing, release, W&B etc. It's even common for them to do EVERYTHING EXCEPT file. Never figured it out, maybe they don't have the number for 800WX-Brief

How do you call 1800wxbrief for all your flights if everytime you put the phone it is ringing with another crewmember needing assistance with routing and other questions? The workload increases when I-Jet goes down for DX. You can only do one thing at a time, you know?

zbwmy said:
Do you fract guys think that the flight planning depts and companies mentioned above know what the preferred routes are departing New England to major destinations east and south?

I ask this because at Boston Center we change roughly 80% of the fract flt plan proposals that pop up. Who has really flown ACK PVD HPN, or BGR HTO JFK, or BHB FXE. This is what we see. You guys are issued the new route we use from the list of preffered routes which are published.

Not complaining here, just wondering if on your trip sheets you see these dream routes listed and wonder why after getting the same re route many times, the correct route is not filed.

BHB ENE J55 HTO J174 DIW AR14 METTA AR1 HOBEE MRLIN4 FLL [WATER]
BHB ENE J55 HTO J174 SWL J121 CHS J79 OMN MRLIN4 [LAND]
BHB ENE BAF CMK J75 TAY J119 PIE FORTL4 [LAND PINK SLIP]

BGR ENE ENE4 JFK

ACK PVD V146 BAF IGN V157 HAARP HPN
KACK ACK V146 PVD KPVD

KPVD PVD V146 BAF IGN V157 HAARP HPN
OR
PVD BAF IGN VALRE2 HPN
OR
KPVD PVD V167 HFD V1 MAD V475 BDR RYMES KHPN [TEC RT]

They are the routes in the NJA d.b., I can't speak for the other fracs. If they are not correct you can contact the flight dispatch supervisor in CMH and new ones can be entered.

If you have been at ZBW for a number of years you may recall we had a GV pilot represent us at your facility a few times and coordinated hundereds of routes into our database in effort to improve the number of CAF.

We have the capability now, with our new Airspace dept, to upload real-time playbook re-routes in response to ATC initiatives as they occur. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back