white coat high BP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimmyw

Just looking for some expertise or input from aviators who might go throught the white coat syndrome too.Seems when I go to a doc Blood Pressure can go to FAR limits.It seems as though on the way to the medical and in the waiting room I can feel myself revving up and anticipating the health professional taking the numbers.

Any similiar stories and inputs ?

This is normal specially when your job is depending on it. I had a friend with a similar problem, he ended up going to his regular doctor and wearing a 24 hr BD monitor to show he was ok and it was only happening during doctor visit. He got a letter from his doctor and was given to his AME and from then on it didn't matter how he felt during his office visit. Hope that helps.

I keep track of mine and it seems to be fine at home...but like you I can spool up pretty quick....one thing I try to do is find a doctor you feel comfortable with, and try to take a relaxing walk right before the exam. The longer I sit in the waiting room and think about it the worse it is.

Keep in mind that BP can vary up to 20 points in a very short amount of time based on activity and anxiety (white coat syndrome). I suffer from it big time. Watching my wife's c-section, i thought for sure I was gonna hit the floor....anywho, Try to remain still and relaxed prior to the reading. I always hate it when you have been sitting in the lobby for 30 mins, they call you in, you hop up walk down the hall and then hop up on the table and the first thing they do is the BP. That simple exertion can actually cause a spike, however if you sit there for 5 mins or so it will go back down. Try it out at any store that has a BP machine. I sit down, after walking around shopping and chasing my daughter, hit the test button and bam 138/90. Hit the reset and try again, 124/74. At my last physical I was 132/85, the doc looks at it and said, Dont worry, Everyone is a little higher here!

I have had white coat hypertension since childhood. Being in a doctors office is about the most mentally uncomfortable thing I can think of. Some people fear snakes, others spiders, for me its the doctors office. When I walk into the office, I can actually feel my heart pounding in anxiety. I have always been told that my BP was "a little high" but not above the limits. I decided to get on of those electronic monitors from the drugstore that wrap around your wrist so I could keep track of my blood pressure at home. When I tried it at home my BP measured 100/60. Since this reading was so low, I thought that the monitor must not work and I took it back to the store for a more expensive unit. After gettting the same low readings with another unit, I decided to return it and get the same type that the doctors use (with a cuff and seperate stethescope). Sure enough, same low readings with the new high-dollar, doctor quality BP equipment. At home, the highest reading I have ever took was 120/75. Usually I am about 110/65. I just had a First Class exam this morning and my reading was 138/75. I am still trying to learn how not to be nervous at a doctors office but I am not sure if I will ever be relaxed when my career is on the line when I walk into that room.

White coat

I am having the same problem. Last year I did a very intrusive medical exam and for the first time I had a spike in BP. I was very alarmed, so I went out and bought a BP monitor to use at home. I have been a 3-5 mile/day runner for years (31 yrs. old) and I am still pretty freaked out. I thought my exercise was supposed to keep this from happening. Anyway, when I take it at home it is consistently normal. Just went today for another required company physical and got 140/78. I tried to tell them I was white coat hypertensive, but they want me to come into the office to have it checked 5 different times. I don't know why they would think that would matter since I only have high BP at the doctor. I am pretty concerned that I will have my flight status yanked or required to get on medication over this stupid worrying. I too can feel my heart pumping as soon as I walk in. In fact, I can get thinking about it days in advance and do the same thing. I would love to know if there was a cure for this stupid problem

I have it bad too... the funny thing is I can feel my heart racing just from reading everyone's experiences!

Latest resources

Back