• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whilst your drive is admirable, the perception that you should BUY your own type rating in order to get employed is what is fundamentally wrong with this industry.

Take a look at an expat website like PPRuNe and read the whinging (whining) posts on differential pay, lower pay, CoS (Conditions of Service), time to upgrade and so on - realise that it's all a consequence of pilots giving up, by degrees, all that we and our predecessors worked for.

Yes, times are tough and work isn't that easy to get, and sacrifices have to be made...

Stand your ground. Don't do it. A type rating with no time on type isn't worth squat anyway. I wouldn't hire an ATR driver (irrespective of experience) with a B744/B777 "rating" and ZERO wide bodied time, international experience, ULH, ETOPS and all the other goodies that go with the B744/777 job package. You're a liability, not an asset, and there are many furlougees out there who will make your paper rating look absurd.

Save your money or buy Sirius stock. Double your money.

Your $20K for a B777 TR will be worth squat in 6 months.

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually value themselves that way, this paid hobby of ours would be a career

If you did what you are suggesting – you would’nt get a job with any reputable carrier. Not because of what Cpt. U. correctly pointed out – but because of your decision making skills in where you have put the last of your liquidated retirement money.

Respectfully.

fv

type rating

What u do with your money is your business, end of story, I like the comment about idiots with their mouths closed. But ponder this, before you pay for that rating, make sure you have a job offer of sorts. I unfortunately did a similar thing ten years ago, and at the time everybody wanted 500 hours in type, and I was never able to really use that type rating, which was a waste of the time and money.

my 2 cents

What u do with your money is your business, end of story, I like the comment about idiots with their mouths closed. But ponder this, before you pay for that rating, make sure you have a job offer of sorts. I unfortunately did a similar thing ten years ago, and at the time everybody wanted 500 hours in type, and I was never able to really use that type rating, which was a waste of the time and money.

my 2 cents

I agree without time on type the rating is worthless the way things are right now.

I agree without time on type the rating is worthless the way things are right now.

I can second (or third or fourth it as the case may be) this statement. I have an A-320 type and a TRI letter on the thing (I'm teaching for the manufacturer), but with no time on type, and I can't even get a second look as an F/O anywhere on it...

So, I can't imagine getting a job with a type and no experience in a 320 these days... So, if the type won't really help, get the 74-400 type if it's what you want to do... (Or just be a good citizen and don't waste tax payer money on something you know won't really help you get a job... Go to culinary school or get a commercial drivers license -- something useful...)

Just my 2 centavos...

I think the bigger question here is how do unemployed pilots in the US obtain jobs throughout the world with carriers hiring.

I don't like the idea of paying for a type either (and fortunately I never have) but if it makes the difference between getting back to work or staying in the unemployment line then you do what you have too.

I have a good friend in flying the 767 for ANA... furloughed UA. He never thought he would be where he is either.

Latest resources

Back