Which Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pumpkinhead

I may have an opportunity to pay for a type rating, I am partial to the B747-400 but that’s just an aircraft I always wanted to fly. I wanted some feedback on what aircraft is in the most demand, (what might secure me a job), both wide body and narrow body. This would most likely be for a foreign operation. Also if not too much trouble, recommended school for such aircraft training. Thank You.

Last edited:
B777 for widebody, A320 for narrow body. B74-4 is a fantastic bird but overall 777 is more marketable. IMO A320 type is better than the 73 because there are more jobs for expats flying the bus. If you already have widebody int'l PIC time then go for the 777 for $$$.

Chronic Jetlag, thanks for the feedback, I think your right, was expecting this exact recommendation. I guess it was wishful thinking about the B-747-400, I really love that airplane. Only have so much money left from a liquidated 401K after penalties and taxes. 4 airlines, 4 bankruptcies. As suggested in another thread, Type + 0 Time = No Job. I’m leaning toward just hanging on to the money.
Schicer, thanks, I’ve already contacted several recruiting firms, only one positive response, mainly because of my non currency in the ATR, but I am pursuing the one lead, getting all the paper work together now. It sounds like you may be flying the ATR over there now; if so I would like to pm you for some insight.

Whilst your drive is admirable, the perception that you should BUY your own type rating in order to get employed is what is fundamentally wrong with this industry.

Take a look at an expat website like PPRuNe and read the whinging (whining) posts on differential pay, lower pay, CoS (Conditions of Service), time to upgrade and so on - realise that it's all a consequence of pilots giving up, by degrees, all that we and our predecessors worked for.

Yes, times are tough and work isn't that easy to get, and sacrifices have to be made...

Stand your ground. Don't do it. A type rating with no time on type isn't worth squat anyway. I wouldn't hire an ATR driver (irrespective of experience) with a B744/B777 "rating" and ZERO wide bodied time, international experience, ULH, ETOPS and all the other goodies that go with the B744/777 job package. You're a liability, not an asset, and there are many furlougees out there who will make your paper rating look absurd.

Save your money or buy Sirius stock. Double your money.

Your $20K for a B777 TR will be worth squat in 6 months.

Well said Underpants. But, I don't agree with Sirius stock. I bought that when they first started and lost my ass.

Latest resources

Back