Which FBO to Choose?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ilm

What factors are decided upon when choosing an FBO at an airport where there is competition on the field?

Is it strictly price driven?
Amenities?
Service with a smile?
Facility?
Fuel Brand?
Simply the other choice than the larger chains?

Who are the decision makers when choosing an FBO?

If you are a new FBO where are some specific publications to advertise to get everyone to know you are another choice at a specific airport now?

We are a new FBO at CGF airport called The Cleveland Jet Center. We have made a point to have competitive fuel costs and provide the best service possible. We are trying to conduct a survey to all of the fractional operators, management companies, charter companies, and corporate operators to see what they like best and be sure to offer what is expected out of an FBO.

My biggest concern is for the passengers. Nothing irritates me more than to be helping passengers off while a line guy is asking me how much fuel ill be taking.

Get my people taken care of first, obviously if i need fuel i wont be leaving without it.

Two words: hot girls.

Hot girls trump all else--amenities, fuel prices, passenger comfort, you name it.

After a long day in the flight levels, nothing says "welcome back to terra firma" like a hot girl. Whether she's mashalling you onto the ramp, driving the fuel truck, dumping your lav or ringing up your fuel ticket, a hot girl can somehow make all the craziness and stress of the day just kind of melt away.

Oh, and Avtrip points are nice, too.

What factors are decided upon when choosing an FBO at an airport where there is competition on the field?

Is it strictly price driven?
Amenities?
Service with a smile?
Facility?
Fuel Brand?
Simply the other choice than the larger chains?

Who are the decision makers when choosing an FBO?

If you are a new FBO where are some specific publications to advertise to get everyone to know you are another choice at a specific airport now?

We are a new FBO at CGF airport called The Cleveland Jet Center. We have made a point to have competitive fuel costs and provide the best service possible. We are trying to conduct a survey to all of the fractional operators, management companies, charter companies, and corporate operators to see what they like best and be sure to offer what is expected out of an FBO.

In the fractional world the pilots don't decide on the FBO. It's the customer/owner and then the company based on price or contract.

Sadly, pilots love FREE stuff. Food, drinks, internet access, fuel purchasing programs, t-shirts, hats, and such. Have lots of fresh cookies and/or popcorn for the group to consume even if many need to use P90X:p
Pilots like a quiet place to sit, relax and be out of sight from the public. A great TV with cable is a must for those days of sitting around with not a thing to do. A crew car is a plus too. Maybe some deals with local attractions/businesses with discounts to bring those same pilots that must spend the day with you.

Friendly service is great for pilots too. Nothing is worse then arriving into an FBO and having the C/S reps not smile, hard on the eyes and just flat out grumpy. Visit First Aviation in TEB and see the C/S reps there, OUCH!!!

Or, in the case of my employer, they tell us which FBO to use. The company has "preferred" FBO's at larger airports though the customer can choose which FBO is to be used.

My biggest concern is for the passengers. Nothing irritates me more than to be helping passengers off while a line guy is asking me how much fuel ill be taking.

Get my people taken care of first, obviously if i need fuel i wont be leaving without it.

X2

could not have said it better myself. I understand that ramps get busy, but if you see me unloading bags and get my pax on their way, give me a few minutes before you ask if I have catering. They pretty much determine which FBO I go to. If they are not happy, I am not happy.

Secondly, the cost is obvously a factor. In this day and age it has to be. The less expensive a given leg can be the better it is......fuel, ramp, handling fess, etc.. all play a factor.

All of the fracs have some sort of fuel dept that searches for the best prices and services. My suggestion would be to contact each company and ask the decision makers what they want to see. The pilots usually have very little choice of which fbo to use, we go where the blackberry tells us to go. Unless we report a less than desirable experience to our company, or if the pax request an fbo other than that preferred by the company, we go where the company needs us to go.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!!

All of the fracs have some sort of fuel dept that searches for the best prices and services. My suggestion would be to contact each company and ask the decision makers what they want to see. The pilots usually have very little choice of which fbo to use, we go where the blackberry tells us to go. Unless we report a less than desirable experience to our company, or if the pax request an fbo other than that preferred by the company, we go where the company needs us to go.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!!

Better yet, show up at the doorstep of the corporate office (with some free logo stuff) and ask them in person, "what can we do to be your provider of choice in Cleveland?". And then do it. And follow up to let the know you did it. This is called Marketing 101. I am a bit surprised that you would ask a group like this your question.

Better yet, show up at the doorstep of the corporate office (with some free logo stuff) and ask them in person, "what can we do to be your provider of choice in Cleveland?". And then do it. And follow up to let the know you did it. This is called Marketing 101. I am a bit surprised that you would ask a group like this your question.

Why wouldn't he ask this group? If there are complaints about an FBO, who do you think tells the Corporate office. The pilots/ passengers are an important part of the Marketing here......Its called customer service. You can give me all the fuel discounts and free hats in the world, but if your CS sucks its no good. The best source to find out the ACTUAL level of customer service is through the pilots/ passengers

Two words: hot girls.

Hot girls trump all else--amenities, fuel prices, passenger comfort, you name it.

After a long day in the flight levels, nothing says "welcome back to terra firma" like a hot girl. Whether she's mashalling you onto the ramp, driving the fuel truck, dumping your lav or ringing up your fuel ticket, a hot girl can somehow make all the craziness and stress of the day just kind of melt away.

Oh, and Avtrip points are nice, too.

Given your response you:

A) Have never actually been with a girl

B) Are sadly married to a fat, middle aged nag who has taken every ounce of your manhood with her constant whining, complaining and refusal to give you any

C) Fail to realize that it does not matter what the girl behind the counter looks like, she is not going to have anything to do with a loser like you

D) Covering that you are gay (and yes... the ramp and counter guys think you are a loser too).

Grow up.

Latest resources

Back