which fast single prop to buy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

I'm looking for fast single something that does over 170kts between 6-9 thousand feet. My trips are usually less than 2hrs in florida. I like the idea of some mooneys that get up high and fly far and fast, but that would be the occasional trip for me. I've heard other guys say buy a little more than your looking for because you will grow into the plane. I'm looking at maybe a used mooney or 2004 cirrus sr22. What do you guys think about different types of mooneys the sr22 and their maintance insurance rates and performance.
Thks, D

The Cirrus is a good plane, very comfortable ride and the thing will damn near fly itself. I've only flown the SR20 but even with the smaller engine it'll give you 140 at 7k easy. The only drawback is that the avionics package will take some getting used to, but if you can figure out how to work a Garmin 430 you can figure this thing out. Also, having so many computers in there, it's not uncommon for a glitch or a bug to come out of nowhere and annoy the crap out of you.

Having recently flown the Cessna 400, that is the one I would buy without a doubt. VERY comfortable (for all occupants), great range and speed. I haven't flown the 350, but look forward to it.

How many people you going to bring along? Im assuming 4 since your lookin at 4 seaters right? Weight of people and baggage will make a difference.

I've narrowed it down to the mooney or cirrus. Most I usually fly with are 4 people, but usually by myself. There are just so many types of mooneys under 200k that it makes it a tough decision.

Having recently flown the Cessna 400, that is the one I would buy without a doubt. VERY comfortable (for all occupants), great range and speed. I haven't flown the 350, but look forward to it.
That is a fantastic airplane. I flew one when they were still called the Lancair. However they are very pricey, and the OP has stated that he does not really go above 9K, in this case the Lancair becomes very inefficient. Whats the point of having twin turbos and staying at 9K or less? All they are doing is burning a lot more fuel.
SR-22 would be much more practical.

The idea of having a parachute is definitely nice and comforting, but I think it gives the pilot an excuse almost. Gone are the days of really learning to fly now you have GPS this an that and a parachute so when you screw up you can just pop that an be ok. My check airman the other day told me a story about how he saw a guy walking out so proud to his Cirrus he took off 10 minutes later he came back and landed because the Autopilot was working. :( Apparantly thats how these Cirrus centers like to teach though. IMO nobody should be using the AP until they have at least 500 hours stick time and really hone those skills. But in the purpose of this subject either plane are pretty nice.

I'm looking for fast single something that does over 170kts between 6-9 thousand feet. My trips are usually less than 2hrs in florida. I like the idea of some mooneys that get up high and fly far and fast, but that would be the occasional trip for me. I've heard other guys say buy a little more than your looking for because you will grow into the plane. I'm looking at maybe a used mooney or 2004 cirrus sr22. What do you guys think about different types of mooneys the sr22 and their maintance insurance rates and performance.
Thks, D

I fly both aircraft (SR2x and the Columbia/Cessna 300, 350 & 400) for a maintenace organization here in KSGJ.
Very familiar with all the number$. Sounds like a pre-owned SR22 or Columbia/Cessna 350 might just be the ticket.

Give a call (904-347-5445) or e-mail to discuss.

Regards

The idea of having a parachute is definitely nice and comforting, but I think it gives the pilot an excuse almost. Gone are the days of really learning to fly now you have GPS this an that and a parachute so when you screw up you can just pop that an be ok. My check airman the other day told me a story about how he saw a guy walking out so proud to his Cirrus he took off 10 minutes later he came back and landed because the Autopilot was working. :( Apparantly thats how these Cirrus centers like to teach though. IMO nobody should be using the AP until they have at least 500 hours stick time and really hone those skills. But in the purpose of this subject either plane are pretty nice.
Of course he came back. Its an inoperative component. It needs to be placarded and deactivated. It would be foolhardy and possibly illegal for him to continue.

Latest resources

Back