• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
Hey guys

A college friend of mine owns his own company, based in a large metro area, and came to me for info on buying an airplane.

Quick overview

- 4 to 6 passengers max for the flights....all into paved asphalt strips
- wants turbine
- most flights will be DAL->PHX->DAL type trip lengths, once a week
- twice a week, DAL->MAF/LBB trip length
- OCCASIONAL DAL->TEB trip length but once every 3 months type of thing.
- budget of $5 million for the purchase, but $3 million more desired
- wants proven, reliable airplane, easily serviced on the road at FBO's if need be

I am originally was thinking that this screams "King Air" (200 or 350) but upon market price checks, I don't see why a late 90's Bravo could not do the mission. Even PC-12.

this looks like another King Air or a Citation argument

any info desired

** no PM's on pilot job questions please

thanks

The DAL-MAF/LBB is suitable for a King Air. I think a prop would be a bit tedious for the longer stage lengths.

If you do think about a Jet don't forget about DRVSM. It is right around the corner. Make sure you get a plane that is capable of being certified.

For what it is worth, I worked for a guy that went from a Kingair 200 to a CitationII. He thought the jet would have better range but we soon found out that it didnt have much better range than the Kingair. If you decide to go more than a kingair then you should look at something with much better speed and range.
The Citation Bravo and V are good but an RVSM Lear 35 might be a better deal. (maybe)

Budget of 3-5 mil? CJ2. No problems with RVSM if you go with the dual PFDs.

Look at the numbers, a Sabre 65 would fit his needs very well. Yes, it is an older airplane. You can pick up a 65 with 6k on it for about 1.5. If it has not been RVSM'd, TAWS or ELT yet, you can do that for about 400k. Go with new paint and interior add about 200k. Now, you have an airplane that can go to FL410 easy(450 is the top) do .78-.80(.83 is MMO) and do the legs you described with out refueling.

I could go on, if you want more specific info, fuel burns, TO and land data, let me know. Good solid airplane.

With an acquisition budget of 5.0 million for the purchase, I think talk of a BE-20 is in the wrong ballpark. This is an operator that would be much better suited to a Lear 35, a Beechjet, or a hawker for the purposes described.

Economy doesn't sound like the issue here, at all. With the working budget, it shouldn't be.

I don't believe your friend will be satisfied with a turboprop for the missions described, especially on longer legs, where the jet will be more cost effective. Certainly a better impression for clients.

A citation is fine, but will cost more, with no measurable increase in comfort, or performance. A sabre has standup room, but being a little prejudiced (flew them, worked on them), I hate them. They've got room, but are maintenance bears, and dont' even get me started on Sabre corrosion issues. Avoid the older Hawkers. Don't bother with any of the King Air line above the 200; the extra cost is not justified.

Personally, I'd look closely at either a Lear 35A or a Beechjet. Be sure to account for and include in the budget TAWS and DRVSM.

There are several options here. Each has its strenghts and weaknesses.

KA200 good range. reasonably comfortable cabin. Well known maintenance wise. Price and operating costs are high compared to jets.

KA300/350. Basicly a KA200 with increased GW. No real advantage for your operation.

DA10. Not too many around. Heavy burns more fuel than a LR35. Hyd flight controls. Early Falcons are known to have HYD leaks.

CE550/551/560. Rasonable cabin. Not quite as much range as the KA200. Lots of them around.

Sabre. Heavy. Women passengers HATE the aircraft. More or less an orphan.

Westwind. Heavy. Some feel like their tails are dragging on the runway. Has kind of a wallow in flight. Burns more fuel than a LR35. But nice cabin, lots of headroom, nice if your guy is tall. Full potty.

LR35. Well know maintenance wise. Reasonable fuel burns for a jet. Very good range.

LR31. Like the 35. Not quite as much range, but will make NY from DAL nonstop. And will make it back with one stop. Plus much newer than LR35.

LR55. Burns a little more fuel than 35. Potty in rear.

All these aircraft are within your prefered price range. And will operate within your planned routings with few problems.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back