Which Company is better USA Jet or Ameristar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1uknow

I hear Ameristar is a more professional organization. Thanks for any info you all can provide. I am looking for some Jet PIC time so I can move over to the airlines.

I seriously doubt it. USA Jet is pretty first class as adhoc carriers go. Yeah, maybe the pay is not the best, but what freight company has great pay? At least USA Jet has a good relationship with the FAA. Besides, would you rather work for Warren Buffet or Tom Wackendorf? Plus, I have never heard rumors of USA Jet/Active Aero doing anything shadey. Can't say the same thing about Ameristar.

Now to be fair, most AJI pilots I talk to don't really have anything bad to say either. They are just away from home a lot.

Ask these questions

Who has the highest turnover? That normally tells a little bid about the company. Average pilot has been at USA Jet 6.0 years and is 42 years old. USA Jet has hired 8 pilots this year to replace turnover, probably will not have another class until next year. Who has a training contract? USA Jet dropped all contracts 3 years ago. Who hires Capt. off the street? USA Jet has single seniority list and fills all seats from inside the company, new hires often bid into the right seat of the DC-9 in their first year with the company. USA Jet has not hired a Capt off the street since 1998. Who hires you for a position in ADS and tells you in ground school you are being based at YIP? USA Jet is up front you must live at YIP to get the job. Who has passed inspections from Ford Motor and General Motors for Executive Passenger Charters? USA Jet is a preferred provider for both GM and Ford Executive Passenger travel on both the DA-20 and DC-9. There are many ways to judge a company and gather information. Ameristar and USA Jet are on different business paths, not to say one is better or not. Best of luck

Last edited:
Here come the flames. Duck!!!

pilotyip said:
Who has the highest turnover? That normally tells a little bid about the company. Average pilot has been at USA Jet 6.0 years and is 42 years old. USA Jet has hired 8 pilots this year to replace turnover, probably will not have another class until next year. Who has a training contract? USA Jet dropped all contracts 3 years ago. Who hires Capt. off the street? USA Jet has single seniority list and fills all seats from inside the company, new hires often bid into the right seat of the DC-9 in their first year with the company. USA Jet has not hired a Capt off the street since 1998. Who hires you for a position in ADS and tells you in ground school you are being based at YIP? USA Jet is up front you must live at YIP to get the job. Who has passed inspections from Ford Motor and General Motors for Executive Passenger Charters? USA Jet is a preferred provider for both GM and Ford Executive Passenger travel on both the DA-20 and DC-9.
Yeah, but who is getting 747s ?

If it is not the truth, it will corrected in ample time. Besides why would we buy 47's we have them under contract through our biding system amd if Ameristar gets some we will have some more 47's bidding on our system. It is a win-win for everyone. This is the kinda thing that makes you feel good about the industry and the brotherhood.

Does it really matter whos better? Personally I could give less of a care. We fly the same planes filled with the same cargo to the same airports, stay in the same hotels and make about the same money in the end. Its all dawgin in my book.

Oh yah, busy season....a whole 2 months :) other months we get 9 off. 1 whole day difference......

Every company is different just thank god your not at that different company called Grande Aire....errr or whatever they are callin' it these days...TriCoastal perhaps...? ah who can keep track.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back