Which Company is better USA Jet or Ameristar

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no1uknow said:
I just went to each website and OUCH! look at those hiring minimums. Being a recent Embry-Riddle grad perhaps they would take that into accout, plus I have a 737 type rating. I certinally dont want to sit copilot for more than a month or two, I need jet PIC. Do you all know any place that I can obtain Jet PIC time quicker, like I said I want to move on to the airlines ASAP

JACKA$$!!!!! Is this the kind of $hit they are teaching you these days? Your high and mighty because you overspent on your education? I think you'd fit right in over at Grand Aire/Tri-Coastal, give them a call. Its 1-800-SUC-KASS.

Actually I meet this guy or his older brother at the Air Inc show in ATL back in 2000. We were hiring DA-20 and DC-9 F/O's off the street at that time. This ERAU pilot walks up to our booth. He has a total of around 1100 hrs, 500 MEL, 250 in the B-90 King Air. I tell him about our DA-20 program and how he would be getting jet time to build up his resume. He tells he is not interested because at this time in his career he doesn't need to fly small airplanes anymore, he is only interested in the DC-9 F/O position because he is going to DAL where his dad works. (DA-20 Small, compared to a B-90?) We wished him the best.

That dude is flamin' (in both contexts). Most ERAU grads I have met are pretty reasonable pilots with no grand expectations about where they are going to end up just because they went to ERAU.
I have heard good things about both companies and just had a friend get hired by Ameristar and he seems to like it so far. Six of one, half dozen of another. At least the freight doesn't complain. (Kinda miss that)

Lear Wanna Be said:
I seriously doubt it. USA Jet is pretty first class as adhoc carriers go. Yeah, maybe the pay is not the best, but what freight company has great pay? At least USA Jet has a good relationship with the FAA. Besides, would you rather work for Warren Buffet or Tom Wackendorf?
I would agree that USA Jet is a pretty good outfit. I believe their business model is changing these days - less freight, more pax.

However, USA Jet/Active Aero is not associated with Warren Buffett. Active Aero is partially owned by Berkshire Partners, not Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffett's company). This link has the partner companies of Berkshire Hathaway: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/subs/sublinks.html It has Flightsafety and NetJets, but no Active Aero.

The USA should follow Japans lead with bridge programs that allow the highly trained and educated pilots to move directly to the right seat of an airliner. The airline benifits would be great...less training costs, streamlining the interview requirements and knowing there getting the best pilots available. I dont mean to offend anyone and I know that those little freight airplanes serve an important role and need to be flown but I decided to not to go that route and just want a job commonsurate with my education and qualifications. Thanks for the comments, I was surprised to see Ameristar and USA jets hiring minimums..do they really find people with thoses times or is just what they advertise? Anyway, I hear Notre Dame University has a bridge program so that is probably the route I'll go.

Oh and about calling Herb at Southwest Airlines...not interested in SWA I want to fly larger modern equipment internationally..but I guess I would fly there a while to build time.

no1uetc. Average hours of the next new hire class at USA Jet is 6534 TT 4623 MEL, 2672 Turbin, and the four new hires have 7 type ratings among them. Because this class has ex one Indy Air Captain, it pushes up the average a bit. But we rarely hire anyone near our minimums. They need this time because they could be biding captain a year after being hired.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back