Which American Flyers in Texas is Best?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good grief. Give it a rest guys. :uzi:

regionalcap, I disagree on the point that ALIMBO professes knowledge he may not have. I would safely say that he doesn't even know how little a clue he has as a new CFI. Even when his posts show his lack of knowledge he writes that he has the knowledge.

As someone who taught CFI's before he was born and have been teaching Pilots one way or another ever since, I might have some input that could be of value to a new Instructor. IMHO unless he understands that just because a CFI (or anyone else) once did or did not tell him something (well they could be wrong) that lack of correct information will bite him in the butt someday or he will teach his students wrong and when they mess up he will get to meet the FAA Inspectors in his district. Don't teach it unless you make sure it is correct (with references).

As an Instructor/Check Airman/DE you need to be the standard of knowledge on how to do it right. Not guess or use hearsay but RESEARCH and confirm first before you speak. If banging on his head now makes him a better Instructor and thus a better pilot then IMHO it is worth a dent to his ego.

As an Instructor you have many tools in your bag of tricks. Sometimes the soft approach works sometimes a smack to the ego works. Here I see a need to be direct. He could benefit from it if he thinks about what the posters have said. I perceive a lack of maturity in his posts. IMHO you cannot be child and teach life critical subjects. If he cannot handle direct posts from us, how is he going to handle tough questions from his students?

This is a discussion board. We join to discuss aviation topics. We can agree or disagree. It is the exchange of information that is the benefit. IMHO The delivery method should be secondary in importance to the information.

Would you refuse a free pizza when you are hungry if the delivery truck had an annoying muffler?

Let the FAA tell me when I'm doing something wrong then.

Well, we all make choices in life.

Some references that you will need when the FAA informs you that you made a mistake:

Title 49 of the United States Code (49 U.S.C.) and Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR)

(FAA) Form 2150‑5, Enforcement Investigative Report (EIR)

Letter OF Investigation (LOI)

49 U.S.C Section 44709 Re-examination (formally section 609 of the Act of 1958)

This is just a start to the information you will need when you learn about violations. Since nothing I can say has any merit, I say good luck with your approach to teaching and aviation.

JAFI, OUT.....

Last edited:
Let the FAA tell me when I'm doing something wrong then.

Here's a hint for you, brightspark. The FAA just did.

As for your attitude...once again, and it bears repeating, you prove to be your own worst enemy.

As for your counsel as how to best pass the flight instructor practical test...you're the guy who repeatedly said here on this very forum that you're quitting because you can't handle it and know you're no good at it, and feel you can't pass the test. You're the one who isn't a flight instructor...and you're the one who doesn't actually have any experience passing the practical test...and therefore the LEAST qualified to offer such counsel.

You cant whip out Greg Browns book on the checkride. Be comfortable being able to reference whatever document the FAA makes public so that in case your called out you can look it up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist avbug to know that the FAR/Aim should be known front to back. OP if you want to pick up that book avbug advised do it and reference it for advice but don't even think about pulling it out on the checkride. It may be the CFI's bible but to the FAA it doens't mean crap. As a possible new CFI I know that going through parts 61 and 91 of the FAR's is going to be extremely important. They are the governing laws of a pilot your damn right I deem them necessary to anyone who wants to fly.

You sure can whip his book out, in fact i did. I had been reading it the night before my ride and had put it into my flight bag with my other publications. When I stumbled on one of the questions my examiner told me to feel free to use a reference. I reached into my bag and out came the book.
Good information is good information no matter who the publisher is.

Here's a hint for you, brightspark. The FAA just did.

As for your attitude...once again, and it bears repeating, you prove to be your own worst enemy.

As for your counsel as how to best pass the flight instructor practical test...you're the guy who repeatedly said here on this very forum that you're quitting because you can't handle it and know you're no good at it, and feel you can't pass the test. You're the one who isn't a flight instructor...and you're the one who doesn't actually have any experience passing the practical test...and therefore the LEAST qualified to offer such counsel.

You act like it takes a rocket scientist to pass these tests. Stop acting like this is the worlds hardest test. He isn't going to need to need an instructor to tell him whats on the tests.

You act like it takes a rocket scientist to pass these tests. Stop acting like this is the worlds hardest test.

No...actually, that would be YOU...

ALIMBO, 12-30-08:
Now I'm worried though because the FSDO up here has an 80% failure rate. You literally can't get anything wrong or they fail you. So being perfect in the eyes of the FAA is not going to be easy.

ALIMBO, 12-31-08:
Yup doing the CFII as the initial just heard the failure rate has gone up to 96%.

ALIMBO, 01-01-09:
No the Chicago FSDO at Dupage has a 96% failure rate. That's across the board from applicants all over the chicagoland area. I thought it was 80% but apparantly its gone up in the last few weeks.

ALIMBO, 01-02-09
Actually I'm just not guna do it anymore not worth the time. In fact I think I'm just guna finish up my degree and get whatever job I can and build time in other ways. Being a CFI is not what I thought it would be. If I pass my CFII then I will instruct but nothing more than instrument students. The FAA is imposing new rules to screw over CFI's if your student screws up apparantly it takes effect in Feb. So I'm not taking the chance of losing my certificate because of another person making a mistake and quite frankly I know my skill at teaching students other than instruments and its just not worth. Thanks for the input everyone.

ALIMBO, 01-02-09:
Guess Ill never know I may try the ride but I wont pursue it if I don't pass it. Might as well take a shot at it since I dropped 4g's on this crap.

ALIMBO, 01-03-09
Ive been in the books for the past 20 or so odd days straight. Only breaks I've been taking are food and sleep. This weekend is rough I've been studying a lot lately. I'm going to at least try the checkride no sense not ever seeing if you could have done it.

But wait, alimbo...it's not rocket science...stop acting like this is the world's hardest test...right?

Do you ever listen to yourself??

ALIMBO, 01-03-09:
But from what many many others have told me this ride and training is way more challenging than 121 training.

Great...you're an expert on what it takes to pass the test you claim you're not qualified or prepared to pass...now you're an expert (at 300 hours) on 121 training and operations. Your unqualified expertise knows no bounds.

ALIMBO, 01-03-09:
I know I can do this because im not a pu$$y. Everyone around me is telling me that this FSDO is basically hell. So its discouraging to say the least.

Discouraging to say the least...but not rocket science...but alimbo...shouldn't you stop acting like this is the world's hardest test?

Or have you still not bothered to listen to yourself?

Latest resources

Back