• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Which American Flyers in Texas is Best?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I forgot don't forget to buy a new Far/AIM for 2009. Go through and highlight or tab all the areas you need to know. Mainly Parts 61 and 91 but there is still other areas you will need to know. I literally sat at the dinner table and turned every page and highlighted whatever I deemed important as an instructor. Its long and tedious but necessary.

YOU are advising others on how to prepare for and pass a flight instructor course or practical test? YOU??

Aren't you the one who decided he couldn't do the job or pass the test, and recently quit?

You highlighted what YOU as an INSTRUCTOR "deemed" necessary, did you? Whereas you're not an instructor and you've quit, how would you know what's necessary? You deem it necessary...it must be so, right?

Wrong.

One of the most iportant books a flight instructor could pick up would be Greg Brown's The Savvy Flight Instructor. This goes well beyond the checkride, and is an excellent primer to prepare you for becoming a flight instructor. It's all the things that a CFI should have been taught, but never was. I wish the book would have been around when I was preparing to teach full time.

You cant whip out Greg Browns book on the checkride. Be comfortable being able to reference whatever document the FAA makes public so that in case your called out you can look it up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist avbug to know that the FAR/Aim should be known front to back. OP if you want to pick up that book avbug advised do it and reference it for advice but don't even think about pulling it out on the checkride. It may be the CFI's bible but to the FAA it doens't mean crap. As a possible new CFI I know that going through parts 61 and 91 of the FAR's is going to be extremely important. They are the governing laws of a pilot your damn right I deem them necessary to anyone who wants to fly.

You cant whip out Greg Browns book on the checkride. Be comfortable being able to reference whatever document the FAA makes public so that in case your called out you can look it up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist avbug to know that the FAR/Aim should be known front to back. OP if you want to pick up that book avbug advised do it and reference it for advice but don't even think about pulling it out on the checkride. It may be the CFI's bible but to the FAA it doens't mean crap. As a possible new CFI I know that going through parts 61 and 91 of the FAR's is going to be extremely important. They are the governing laws of a pilot your damn right I deem them necessary to anyone who wants to fly.

There is a big difference between passing the checkride and being a good instructor. All of the advice you are looking for and subsequently handing out is just to pass the checkride, in the easiest manner possible. You are not truly an instructor until you can effectively teach someone!

But he is not asking me to teach him anything. He is just asking for some advice. I'm just trying to let him know from what we do at school what books we use thats it. Everyone just calm down. I'm not trying to dish out any instruction.

You cant whip out Greg Browns book on the checkride. - - It may be the CFI's bible but to the FAA it doens't mean crap. - - - As a possible new CFI I know that going through parts 61 and 91 of the FAR's is going to be extremely important. They are the governing laws of a pilot your damn right I deem them necessary to anyone who wants to fly.

1. Where does it say you can not use a reference book to teach from?

2. How do you know what "the FAA" will accept?

3. Part 61 and Part 91 are REGULATIONS not laws, from the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations. You say that is a minor point but as an Instructor you must be specific with a student. Or you just might as well call a wing "that lifty thing".

You make many statements as fact based on you are an "almost CFI".

1. The FAA didn't write the book in which case they didn't endorse it if it was a good book they would have written it themselves Ive had this discussion with an instructor already.
2. I know what the FAA will accept and that is all the books they wrote. They are all you need to help you get thru the checkride.
3. I used the term laws loosely you knew what I meant. This guy I'm talking to is not my student and I am specifically telling him what I was told I would need to bring which is the same thing is instructor down in texas is going to tell him. M

My statments still won't change based on being an almost cfi when I pass my checkride on thursday.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist avbug to know that the FAR/Aim should be known front to back. OP if you want to pick up that book avbug advised do it and reference it for advice but don't even think about pulling it out on the checkride. It may be the CFI's bible but to the FAA it doens't mean crap.
Good Lord, you're dense.

The "FAR/AIM" is a commercial publication put out by a number of sources, and containes a small part of Title 14 of the code of federal regualtions (CFR) combined with the aeronautical information manual...and it's only part of what you need to know.

You're also beholden to know and understand much of what isn't in the "FAR/AIM," but is still in the CFR.

Greg Brown's book has nothing to do with a practical test, but it contains a lot of information that an instructor should know. I've never heard anyone other than you reference it as the "CFI's Bible," and you're clearly never picked up a copy and have no idea what it's about or what is contained between it's covers.

There's much more to instructing than simply passing the test...and there's far more to passing the test than trying to find the cheapest and quickest gouge to get you by.

You may be about to learn why that is the case.

The FAA didn't write the book in which case they didn't endorse it if it was a good book they would have written it themselves Ive had this discussion with an instructor already.

The FAA didn't write the FAR/AIM, either, brightspark. You don't comprehend this?

The FAA doesn't endorse books.

"If it was a good book they would have written it themselves?" You don't understand the sheer stupidity of this statement, do you?

It is a good book, actually, and one of the single most important books a beginning flight instructor should investigate when embarking on a career as both instructor and pilot. The author, incidentally, is a NAFI Master CFI, and was formerly CFI of The Year.

2. I know what the FAA will accept and that is all the books they wrote. They are all you need to help you get thru the checkride.

The FAA didn't write the books, whatever books you may mean...because the FAA isn't in the business of writing books. Numerous Advisory Circulars, Handbooks, FAA Ordersand other publications (the "FAR/AIM is not among them, incidentally, as it's not an FAA publication) are published for an on behalf of the Administrator, and are official FAA publications. In most cases these are authored by FAA employees. It's incorrect, however, the say the FAA wrote them, because the FAA did not.

The commercial FAR/AIM publications, however, are excerpts of various parts of the CFR and of the AIM.

Without having an understanding of the Federal Register Preambles and the FAA Chief and Regional Counsel legal interpretations of the CFR, as well as more CFR parts than simply what you find in the commercial publications...you have a very small, very inadequate picture of what you need to know both as a pilot, and especially as an instructor.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back