Which Aircraft to Buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CrewDawg

I am looking into some day buying an aircraft and want to hear some opinions from you guys on some good airplanes in the 20k to 30k range. I want a small, two seat, tailwheel aircraft to just cruise around my local area, 500-1000agl door/window open just enjoying the view.

Anyway, I have been looking into the various aircraft that fit the profile, ie. cub, champ, luscombe, Cessna 120/140, pacer and various kitplanes like kitfox.

I want an aircraft that has a descent useful load, and will be able to carry fuel and two 200 lbs people, that will be able to get in and out of a 2000 foot grass field.

Also, if anyone knows about some operating expenses of each aircraft, that would be helpful too. I have my A&P and will look into some more training on the specific aircraft I buy, so I can do alot of the maint. myself. Also I will fly it out of a local grass strip with a hanger (no fee). So hopefully this will bring down some of the expenses. Thanks for your time.

I am looking into some day buying an aircraft and want to hear some opinions from you guys on some good airplanes in the 20k to 30k range.

I want an aircraft that has a descent useful load, and will be able to carry fuel and two 200 lbs people, that will be able to get in and out of a 2000 foot grass field.

Hmmm, I think your payload requirements have eliminated several possibilities assuming you want to stay below gross. What's the field elevation?

A Super Cub would work, but don't know where you'd find a decent one for less than $60k or so. A Pacer might do, but has four seats. I can't think of anything under 100 hp that would have any performance with two big guys in summer....

Last edited:
TurboS7 said:
You are dreaming.

Ya, you are probablly right. In a perfect world right.

Alright then let me strike out the two 200 lbs guy thing and hear some good info. about each of these planes or some others that might fit the profile. Thanks for the replies guys.

-Vector4fun-

Thanks for the reply. Field eleveation will be around 880 feet. Good old flat Ohio:)

-NuGuy-

Lol, yes I have heard that one many times. But I have heard if you fly more than about 125 hours a year it will be cheaper to own? Who knows? But I think there is something to be said for having your own plane to fly whenever you please.

Last edited:
CrewDawg said:
Where you're based is going to make a big difference. The performance capabilities for an airplane based in the mountains in Colorado will be a lot different than for one based in Florida.

'Sled

CrewDawg said:

QUOTE]

If your wanting this??

I just bet that your going to have to spend a little more than 30K. Just my .02

CrewDawg said:
Ya, you are probablly right. In a perfect world right.

Alright then let me strike out the two 200 lbs guy thing and hear some good info. about each of these planes or some others that might fit the profile. Thanks for the replies guys.

-Vector4fun-

Thanks for the reply. Field eleveation will be around 880 feet. Good old flat Ohio:)

-NuGuy-

Lol, yes I have heard that one many times. But I have heard if you fly more than about 125 hours a year it will be cheaper to own? Who knows? But I think there is something to be said for having your own plane to fly whenever you please.

Your right!! Its your airplane and you can do whatever you want to it. You can take it ANYTIME you please. I think it might be fun to say you have an airplane and even work on the thing.

Lead Sled said:
Where you're based is going to make a big difference. The performance capabilities for an airplane based in the mountains in Colorado will be a lot different than for one based in Florida.

'Sled

Western Ohio.....880 - 950 feet

Crewdawg,

Jesting aside. Be aware that any decent airplane is going to cost you large. The only "buyers market" for aircraft these days are the beat up, run-out aircraft. Any airplane that is even in semi-decent condition commands a premium, and sells very quickly.

By semi-decent, I mean aircraft with little or no damage history, little or no corrosion and a total time under 4000 hours. Aircraft in this category are often bought by people with the intent of doing a entire re-furb (engine, interior, avionics and paint).

On top of this, you have brokers who are sharpshooting the decent aircraft. If you see what looks to be a decent airplane advertised, you are probably too late. Your best bet is to put feelers out, and find something locally by word of mouth.

If you are an A&P (or better yet, an IA), and base the thing in BFE with little cost, well then you might do ok. Don't store a fabric aircraft outside.

Don't get me wrong, I would love my own airplane. But be prepared for a major hassle.

Nu

Latest resources

Back