• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where's the resolution JoeMerchant????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sceptical of this provision just based on Joe's history. I haven't forgotten about your attempt to undermine ASA ALPA with your Secretary stunt you pulled a few years ago.

There's more to this than trying to support the Comair pilots. My guess is, it gets voted down, and Joe has more ammo to thump his chest about how ALPA has failed again, and needs to be removed.

VERY Good point! Also- Don't forget his second attempt to do this a few years back when negotiations started to get testy. I do believe his was one of the "Fab Five" who were running withe the promise of a new contract in a very short time period! Another clear attempt to hijack our ALPA.

-I don't trust Joe a damn bit! This guy is simply obsessed with the RJDC -and is still trying to hijack the union and turn it into some version of that failed organization. We would be wise to avoid anything Joe suggests-he just makes all of us look like freaks! Were it not for people like him handing so much ammo to haters at mainline, we would all be much better off these days.

Why put all the effort into a shortsighted stunt like this, and just give up on attaining a national seniority list.. Something that would benefit everyone.

Why put all the effort into a shortsighted stunt like this, and just give up on attaining a national seniority list.. Something that would benefit everyone.

Because this is clearly the only chance of Joe and his RJDC nutter butters to gain control of our union. I do have my issues with the current MEC, but I would damn sure rather see them be in charge rather than Joe and his turd brigade!

You are correct though in your implication that the union is not truly a union...

It never was a "union". It has always been a federation of MECs with thier own budget. If we want a real national union, then change the rules..

If this was done the pilots would complain that thier local agenda was control by a few at the national level... While it may seem that way now... it is no where near where this new level would be...

Last edited:
VERY Good point! Also- Don't forget his second attempt to do this a few years back when negotiations started to get testy. I do believe his was one of the "Fab Five" who were running withe the promise of a new contract in a very short time period! Another clear attempt to hijack our ALPA.

-I don't trust Joe a damn bit! This guy is simply obsessed with the RJDC -and is still trying to hijack the union and turn it into some version of that failed organization. We would be wise to avoid anything Joe suggests-he just makes all of us look like freaks! Were it not for people like him handing so much ammo to haters at mainline, we would all be much better off these days.

Listen, I don't agree with this resolution simply because it isn't going to work, but I don't understand the hatred. I've known Joe for a long time, and he honestly thinks there is a better way to run this union.

I talked to him about this issue, and he wants a way to ease into a national seniority list. I simply don't think this union will ever do it.

I do a lot of ALPA work, and Joe is hated and admired by many. This issue doesn't have anything to do with RJDC and he isn't trying to "take over" the union. In fact, he makes a very good case for not decertifying ALPA.

As for handing "ammo to haters at mainline", you need to understand that they hate us no matter what. It doesn't have anything to do with Joe or RJDC. We took their jobs and they don't like us. However they sold those jobs to try and preserve their pay.

It never was a "union". It has always been a federation of MECs with thier own budget. If we want a real national union, then change the rules..

If this was done the pilots would complain that thier local agenda was control by a few at the national level... While it may seem that way now... it is no where near where this new level would be...

That's the problem with ALPA. We are all on our own agenda. It would be nice if we were a "union".

Listen, I don't agree with this resolution simply because it isn't going to work, but I don't understand the hatred. I've known Joe for a long time, and he honestly thinks there is a better way to run this union.

I talked to him about this issue, and he wants a way to ease into a national seniority list. I simply don't think this union will ever do it.

I do a lot of ALPA work, and Joe is hated and admired by many. This issue doesn't have anything to do with RJDC and he isn't trying to "take over" the union. In fact, he makes a very good case for not decertifying ALPA.

As for handing "ammo to haters at mainline", you need to understand that they hate us no matter what. It doesn't have anything to do with Joe or RJDC. We took their jobs and they don't like us. However they sold those jobs to try and preserve their pay.

First- They didn't always "hate us no matter what." At some point, we were actually making progress, we were working together. We had many friends at mainline-who wanted to see us all on one list. Then, along came Ford, Lawson, and the freaking RJDC! There is no denying that these people, and this organization made all our friends run the other way!! Were it not for those freaking idiots, we would have come to some sort of place together. Instead, we lost any and all advocates we had at every major carrier, we lost support from within ALPA, and we lost any chance we ever had of getting any progress made TOGETHER.

Joe represents a lot of the bad stuff that made this train run off the track. Joe is still (and always has been) a fervent, rabid RJDC guy. I know it is silly to still call someone an "RJDC guy," but that is exactly what he is... Don't you remember the last time he tried to hijack the union? That was only 3 years ago!

-Joe will never have my support. I know enough about his history to know that I will never be on his side of any issue. The guy is just our own, sad version of Gen Lee.

While Joe might mean well, it is completely unworkable to propose something that he and everyone else knows will fail. It will fail because you are taking seniority rights away from someone. Put a senior CMr guy in front of any ASA guy and you will have lawsuits.

A more workable solution might be allowing the CMR guys to keep longevity for pay, but nothing else. This doesn't hurt anyone elses seniority but hurts the company who is trying to "steal" assets out from under working pilots.

I have a feeling Joe might not support this idea because it hampers the company's ability to purchase assets on the cheap and hinders our own growth possibilities. But this is the only way I can see this working. Of course, this idea would require new contract language and the company would fight it, tooth and nail.

Latest resources

Back