Where to TYPE for SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

akhercs

A friend and I interviewed at SWA in January and are looking to get our type in March. We are primarily looking at Higher Power in Dallas, Aeroservice in Miami, and K&S in Pheonix. I know HP and K&S both do the SWA flows and Aeroservices does the traditional Boeing. Can anyone recommend Aeroservices, or provide any insight? They seem to have the best availability for our time frame.

Thanks!

CG HercDriver

I got my type at Higher Power. It was a good program but they don't use SWA flows. Who cares though. I've already pretty much forgotten them and will learn the SWA flows when the time comes. Remember, you get your type in the left seat, your initial SWA training will be in the right seat so the flows will be different anyhow. Just a thought. Good luck.

Higher Power too

Yup, HPA was for me. they have a good school with the best systems instructor I have ever had. The connections with the SWA People dept. are very good at HPA.

I would say that K&S is the next from what I've heard on the board.

If you do decide on HPA and need any info, PM me...

Good Luck!

J3:p

Go with whoever is available!!

Whichever school fits your schedule, location, and/or wallet... go with that school. As stated above, you'll likely learn left seat flows and then forget them. Don't worry... you'll have plenty of time to learn new flows for the folks in Dallas.

Consider this: I flew the 737-300 and -500 at UAL... learned UAL flows and callouts; then I go to Jet Tech in PHX and learn the 737-200 with Boeing flows and callouts. Occasionally while flying the 737 I'd revert to 727 stuff (flew the right seat on the 3-holer at ATA) and ask for "Flaps 2." Hows that for "mixing your marbles?" Finally, a few shots of Wild Turkey in Dallas will likely kill any excess marbles which may contain old Boeing info. Don't sweat it... get the type and get the class date!!

See ya in Dallas for shots of Wild Turkey!

RightBettor

"Winner, seven, pay the line!"

I went to K&S in PHX and would recommend them 1,000,000 times over. Yes, they do teach SWA flows and you do learn the FO flows because half your sim time is in the right seat when it's your partner's turn. They put you up in a hotel and the class size is small. They limit the classes to 6 pilots. Talk about individual attention. As was said about HPA above, I had the best systems instructor I have seen. It is your choice and either way you do it you will get the type.

On Aeroservice, my buddy went there and said it was very disorganized and they just shoved you right through. It was cheap and he got the type though. Your Decision.

Good luck!;)

Higher Power was my choice, and I'd highly recommend them. They're very well-organized, the instructors are excellent, the facilities are top-notch, and they have some of the classiest people I've seen assembled under one roof.
They're definitely on your side and do everything in their power to make your stay in Dallas as productive and pleasant as possible.

Several of my friends have gone through the program since I was there and they've unanimously said great things about their experiences.

Send me a PM if you would like any info on my experience with Higher Power and I'll get in touch with you.

Good Luck wherever you decide to go! :)

I hear alot about K&S, Higher Power. I've signed up for a class at Crew Pilot Training in Houston. From the surface seems like a good program completely geared toward SWA 737-300 type. Anyone have any thoughts/ experience with CPT?

Mil-BushPilot

Mil-BushPilot

I will admit that the Crew Pilot Training did sound like a good company to go with. I have to admit that they were my first choice. I used funds from the WIA to attain my type and the only schools that were set up to recieve funding from the state of NC was HPA and K&S.

The guy that runs CPT was very friendly and helpful. I think you will have a good time with them.

Good luck

J3

I did mine at Higher Power. No complaints, but they are still primarily teaching the -200 (with usually 2 or 3 guys doing the -300 if the class is large).

I'd say you can't go wrong with either HPA or the guys in Phoenix (course taught by SWA pilots, right?)

One thing to watch out for: if you do -300 training using the Flight Safety sim at Houston Hobby, it's kind of a "hangar queen," so be prepared to spend an extra day or two while the sim is being fixed. It's a really good sim when it's working, but it broke down on us for a while every day, and one day it was down for the whole day...

Higher Power Plug

I also selected Higher Power and elected to do the sim training in Houston. We had no problems with the sim and finished right on time. I felt there were two distinct advantages to Higher Power. Two ladies from the Southwest HR department, Heather and Amy, visited us at the end of the first week of training. They spent most of the morning with us and shared a number of insights just three days after the events of 9/11. The second advantage was the ability to hand carry my certificate to SWA. I'm sure the training is great at other places, but the visit from the HR folks and the proximity of Higher Power to LUV Field made training there a real advantage.

Good luck!

Rowel

Latest resources

Back