Where to live near IAH?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyWestCRJPilot said:
If your single and want some nightlife I'd live in the loop. The Heights, Galleria area, around Rice University, etc. Conroe is nice but it's a far out suburb with zero nightlife and about 45-50 minutes to the airport. Some other nice suburbs are the Woodlands (30-40 minutes) and Kingwood (15-25 minutes) and Atascacita (15-20 minutes). If you want to live super cheap real close by live in Greenspoint but be warned it's not a nice area. It's nicknamed Gunpoint for a reason. There are a few other okay areas too like northwest of the airport off of FM1960. A lot of people really rag on Houston but I enjoyed living there. The cost of living is great. The nice areas are very beautiful with lots of greenery, and I loved the weather. There are a lot of ugly areas like in any city so don't live there and you'll like it. There is a lot of traffic in certain areas too but almost none in others. Good luck.

I'm supposed to, according to the current contract (currently up for renogtiation, supposed to be taking paycuts, we'll see) start out making $41,000/yr. My idea of "real cheap" in the last two cities I've been in (for having my own place) is anything less than $900/mo. I am young, so something like the loop sounds good. What does a decent place cost there? Is that an easy commute to the south side of IAH? P.S. Ignore Vector4Fun, he's yanking my chain. He knows I can't move to Austin for about ten years.

from inside the loop it is not too bad of a commute during peak time because you will be going against traffic. if you are young and not married you need to do like the other guys said and live somewhere inside the loop: Galleria area, Midtown, or near Rice University, just to name a few. PM me and i will get you in contact with a guy who has a free locating service to help you find a place. he helped me and i am very happy with the results.

jb

Less than 900/mo is pretty doable in the Kingwood/Humble area. You can get yourself a 2 BR for 900/mo at most places. I'm basically at 1960 and W Lake Houston Parkway and it's an easy 25 min drive to IAH. Not much nightlife in Kingwood, however.

My vote would be the Spring/Cypress Jersey village area...

All are in the NW part of town and the airport can be accessed by both FM1960 and the Sam Houston Tollway. The cost residence isnt that much more expencive, its a little higher because the area is generally MUCH better then the inner city(rent maybe, cost of living is still decently cheap...food, gas, etc...)

I lived in Jersey Village and going on the Tollway(they have EZ tag acess which is a prepaid tag which allows you to pass through a toll station without having the stop and pay toll), it took me about 15-20 mins to get from my house to the IAH FBO's where i used to work.

Spring would be a short drive up 1960 either down I-45S or keep taking 1960 and enter the back way down Lee Rd near the Fex Ex FBO.

Also Humble is a decent area, just the approach glidepath going into RWY 27 and 26L/26R is right below and all everyone ever does there is complin about how loud the planes are and "why cant they just move them somewhere else"...

Though if you dont mind, Humble is a really easy area to get to the airport as well, and the residence there is decently priced. thats more NE side of houston off US-59

My best bet would be the NW side(Spring, Cypress, Jersey Village) But the best for getting to IAH out of the 3 would be Jersey Village or Spring, since both ways to get to the airprt are pretty much on a single road/freeway

I hope this helps, If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have lived in the Houston NW area for over 23 years. So ill be happy to answer any questions you have

Greg

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back