Where to live in MD?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAPoolie

With Tim "Tax me up the arse" Kain winning VA, I gotta move. Between the 35% increase in property taxes this past year plus $800 car tax and now the additional taxes Kaine is proposing, I'm out.

What are the "good" areas of MD near BWI. I know Annapolis is good and Glen Burnie is bad. Any suggestions?

Believe me, no matter how bad it is in Virginia, you don't want to move to the "People's Republic of Maryland". Try Pennsylvania instead.

Depending on how close you need to be to BWI, I went to college in southern maryland in St. Mary's County. it's about 1.5 hrs to BWI, and is still somewhat affordable. You'd have to deal with SMIBS though. (souther Maryland inbreds).

Mookie

SWAPoolie said:
With Tim "Tax me up the arse" Kain winning VA, I gotta move. Between the 35% increase in property taxes this past year plus $800 car tax and now the additional taxes Kaine is proposing, I'm out.

What are the "good" areas of MD near BWI. I know Annapolis is good and Glen Burnie is bad. Any suggestions?

Check your PM's.

I would second PA. I've looked into VA, MD and PA. South of KMDT around York or Gettysburg is nice but as MD pushes up the cost are going up there too in what was once a very rural and affordable part of PA. Many MDA/U guys based in DCA (once metrojet in BWI) live in that area.

If things ever work out here for me I will buy in that area or north of the Lehigh Valley in PA if I can ever get back into PHL.

I grew up in Columbia, MD, right about where you join the GS on the ILS10 into BWI. It's gotten very expensive now (townhouses are at least $300k I think), and I'd bet taxes are higher than in VA. However, it's only a 25 minute drive or so to the BWI employee lot, so you'll save a ton in gas. It remains a great city, though, if you're into living in the burbs: good schools, shopping, it's pretty (no above ground power lines, for example) and centrally located between Baltimore and DC.

In a perfect world, I'd commute via airplane and live on Tangier Island, VA, in the middle of the Chesapeke. Or live on a boat in the Inner Harbor and take the Light Rail to BWI. That would be the life...

I live in Waldorf. It has some semi rural areas if you like or planned subdivisions. The schools are good and they are adding more schools over the next few yrs. I drive 1+20 to the lounge on an AM and 1+45 to get home at the end of the trip. SMIBs live south of here so they are not a factor. If you have money to burn live in Annapolis. If you are a yuppie go across the bridge to the Eastern Shore areas. That seems to be an up and coming area. Calvert and St Mary's are nice and still have plenty of rural around.

I agree though with the post above. I would move Del, or Pa before MD. I am only here until my final retirement. Hope this helps

As others have said if you are moving to MD to save on taxes you may want to reconsider, as you'll be moving again after you see your taxes here. It's also gotten rediculously expensive to buy a place almost anywhere in MD. Most of the pilots I know who've bought in the last few years have gone to Pennsylvania.

There have been several threads on where to live in/near MD in the past, a quick search should turn up some of them.

Latest resources

Back