• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where the Real Blame Lies...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
.... inadequate training of inexperienced new-hires....

Training is one thing. Experience is something completely different. Be careful to not entwine the two. You can't teach experience.

You need 1200 hours before you can fly canceled checks in a C-172, (part 135 PIC), but you can hop into the right seat of a CRJ900 with only 250 hours of "experience", having never been in actual IMC, above 3,000' MSL, or faster than 140 kts. Is that bazaar? Is that wrong?

Andy Neill said:
The captain didn't help things when he pulled back on the yoke and the FO didn't help when she raised the flaps before the stall warning went away.

Which, interestingly enough, is the exact procedure one would use in the event of a tailplane stall.

Can't say I was real comfortable flying the CRJ knowing there was no anti-icing on the tail..."its designed aerodynamically not to need it" isn't really comforting when flying over the Great Lakes or in the northeast in the middle of a winter storm.

....Colgan will learn this the hard way through severe financial penalties.

Sorry to be contrary, but,......I don't think they will. Neither will (___insert your least favorite sub-standard regional airline here___).

But isn't a bare bones commercial (private, soloing) pilot supposed to manage airspeed and power?

The captain didn't help things when he pulled back on the yoke and the FO didn't help when she raised the flaps before the stall warning went away.

I have to agree.

We are getting down to bare bones basic flying fundamentals. Every Airline has a special procedure for flying each aircraft but lets face it. Flying an airliner is flying a big airplane. Push forward the houses get bigger. Airspeed awareness would have been clutch!!!

...a couple years ago, as a newly-minted 5,000 hr Captain, I took off into clouds, and my F/O screams "YEEEE-HAW!"

I was like "what the f#@&!"

He said "I've never been in actual IMC before."

Since then, I treat EVERY flight as a single-pilot operation until I get to know a bit more about who I'm paired up with....

New FAA rule: All new hires at P121 operations shall have an ATP-MEL upon commencement of training.

You need 1200 hours before you can fly canceled checks in a C-172, (part 135 PIC), but you can hop into the right seat of a CRJ900 with only 250 hours of "experience", having never been in actual IMC, above 3,000' MSL, or faster than 140 kts. Is that bazaar? Is that wrong?

Great point! I think the time from 250 hrs to 1200 hrs is the time to pay your dues. It should not be done in the right seat of a CRJ with airline livery, and paying passengers.

I bet this will never enter the discussion in Congress.

New FAA rule: All new hires at P121 operations shall have an ATP-MEL upon commencement of training.
That would mean that all First Officers would require 1500 total time. They would then be qualified to fly the airplane. The regionals cannont afford qualified FO's. They want to staff the right seat with the least amount of money. That's why you see 19 year old kids with 14 hours of Multi and 255 hours total time.

Latest resources

Back