Where should I get my CFI certificate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WMUchickenhawk

I'm coming up to the time where I need to consider where I am going to get my CFI at. I'm just looking to get my CFI and CFI-I. No MEI. Right now I'm looking at Colorado Contrails. I know a lot of people that went there and were very happy with it. I also considered All ATP, but all the packages include MEI, which I dont want right now. I want to keep my options open though, so does anybody have any suggestions?

PS Cost counts, so the cheaper the better (not to the point of sacrificing quality though)

I went through American Flyers for my CFI and CFII. I was impressed with the school for the most part, only the "books" ( photocopied manuals placed in a three-ring binder) at $84 each were the only negative I found. They really do try to get you done in 30 days and I was there a total of 40 days because of problems scheduling the CFI-A ride with the FAA.

The CFI Academy was great, but don't go to an American Flyers for one on one instruction, they are rather pricey. I went to the location at Morristown, NJ because it was the closest school to me offering the Academy style. Group learning is great for the CFI. One guy in my class of three was really struggling and I helped bring him up to speed. It gave me a boost of self-confidence I needed because I wasn't sure about teaching people to fly. That experience wouldn't have happened part 61 at my local FBO, plus it would have taken me at least a year, not a month to do it that way.

The problem with AF is that if you search the boards here, you'll find varying experiences with American Flyers. I thought the instructors at the Morristown location were great, but that's not the case with all of the AF locations. Search the boards here for other peoples take on the various locations.

Price wasn't bad. The basic cost for the CFI Academy was $3995 plus the written exams, books and some extra flying costs, I spent about $5000. Since I live in Pittsburgh, I had to find an apartment for a month. With New Jersey inflated real-estate, a basement apartment cost me $1000 plus $1000 security deposit, plus the cost of food and other things for the month. I spent close to $6500 all told. It was slightly more expensive then if I would have stayed locally, but not by much.

Hope this helps. PM me or ask any other questions here.

Airman Flight School

Oklahoma City (Norman actually)

Good School, Good Program. Very Cost effective. Two weeks and CFI/II. I went about 5 years ago, and it was $5000

Get your CFI on where you plan to instruct.....that is the way to get your foot in the door

xkuzme1 said:
Airman Flight School

Oklahoma City (Norman actually)

Good School, Good Program. Very Cost effective. Two weeks and CFI/II. I went about 5 years ago, and it was $5000

Dude, that school ripped a bunch of people off and went out of business last august! I do still see their ads in publications figured someone would tell the publication that they are out of biz!

Sheble Aviation....they have a 10 day CFI and examiners on site.

CFII is 2 days....easy ride.

taters said:

I don't know about their CFI courses, but Sheble was awfully accomodating a few years ago. I got signed up for their ASES add-on, spent the night with a buddy in Bullhead, and showed up at the docks on the morning for the flight training. It turns out, the instructor had come down with pneumonia or something like that, and was hospitalized so the training was cancelled. The lady at the desk of Sheble apologized over and over, offered to pay for the motel if I had used one, and also gave me a discount voucher if I ever planned on coming back. They were great to deal with. As soon as I have the time and money again, I'll head back over there for the ASES course.

pgcfii2002 said:
Sheble Aviation....they have a 10 day CFI and examiners on site.

CFII is 2 days....easy ride.

Do they do a pretty good job of making you a competent instructor, or does it just get you through the ride? I've heard that's a good place too, but I want more than just the rating.

I heard American Flyers was good for making you a knowledgeable, confident instructor. But I haven't been overly impressed with the professionalism so far in my dealings with them. Not saying that necessarily makes them bad, but I get nervous when places send me info containing bad grammar, etc. Also seems like there is A LOT more costs that they don't include in their $3995 price (written fees, examiner, materials, etc.).

Latest resources

Back