Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
My company just started to do overnights in some of the Texas border towns (Laredo, El Paso, and Harlengen) I understand that many US citizens cross over for cheap perscriptions. Do any of you guys do this and have any reccomendations on a good pharmacy in any of these towns? I'm also thinking that my grandparents could benefit from my overnights if I could get them some of their old-folks meds cheaper than what medicare covers. How strict are the pharmacies with filling other people's perscriptions? Do you need proof of some sort to clear US Customs when coming back?

Are you sure you want to trust your life on a Mexican pharmacist giving you the correct prescription in order to save yourself a few dollars? I guess if you've been dying to try out the little purple or blue pills, but too embarrassed to see a physician, then Mexico is the place for you. As with any drug, it had best be in your name, so make sure they spell it correctly, and it has to be declared when coming back into the US. Deviations to any of those two rules will result in being treated like any other drug smugglers they get on a daily basis. Cavity searches, the unfriendly kind, not like the one's your FO does so well.

Last edited:
I was thinking more to benefit my grandparents since I rarely need perscription drugs and have good health insurance. I think 'ol grandpa alone could save over 500/mo from what medicare will not cover. Infact, he was the one that brought up the idea to me. His physician says he should consider going to canada or mexico, but he is not physically able to make such a long trip.

Go for it.

Ask your Grandpa for what he needs specifically in writing, both the name brand and the generic equivilant. When you get to the border towns, ask around your local FBO for a recommendation to a good farmacia across the border. Prescription drugs in Mexico need to be prescribed by a doctor, but hey guess what... the owner of the farmacia usually IS a doctor, so you're in luck! Hehe. The doctor will charge you a fee for writing the prescription, then the drugs themselves are sold separately. Make certain you keep the prescription in your travel case so you have it handy the next time you need to get a refill when you are in that town. If you go to a different town, you will need to get a new prescription written for you at that particular farmacia. They like to keep it all in-house, you see?

I would not recommend just crossing the border and walking into the nearest farmacia you see, but that can be done also. If you get a referral, you will probably find the meds you need for cheaper than you could find on your own. Be personable, and try to establish a good relationship with the pharmacist. Mexican business is all built around personal relationships.

Good Luck.

I mentioned Mexican drugs to my cardiologist. She says no. She tells me that there is absolutly no way to tell what you are getting. I believe her.

Yeah, I wouldn't ingest anything from Mexico besides a Cerveza.

I have done it a couple of times when my f/a wanted to fill a Oxycotin perscription "for his grandfather". Exactly as stated. We went to a "DR. Office" and the F/A said they have a perscription in the states for a bad back. The "doctor" gave him a perscription and then a runner took it to a local pharmacy and brought back a sealed perscription bottle like the pharmacies get in the states. That is the way you should do it. Don't ask for odd lots but only bottled from the manufacturer. The F/A paid his money and we were off. At the border the F/A showed the perscription and the drugs and the Customs agent put something in the computer. I guess you can do it so many times before it triggers something in the computer and labels you as a smuggler. Seemed pretty legit to me. Other than the fact that the F/A was probably getting it for himself for recreational use.

Use to fill prescriptions for our dog in Mexico all the time. It was the only thing that kept her alive. In the states the cost was $6 a pill. In Mexico it was 1$ a pill. The vet sent everyone across the border for meds. It was no big deal. This was pre 911. We used to cross the border every weekend. Go over have a steak at Johnny's steak house. Go dancing and drinking at Crosby's. At did a little shopping in the shops. It was one of the few perks to being stationed in Del Rio, Tx.....

"Mexican" drugs used in prescriptions are produced by major drug manufacturers and can be trusted. However in late 2010 a requirement to have a valid prescription is now required to buy medicine.

Latest resources

Back