Where do you live?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IND but want to get back to PHX...:( TC

Originally posted by Ty Webb: Address my mail to me, c/o the Florabama Lounge, if anyone knows where that is.

I know where that is. I spent the better part of two months living in the beach houses at Perdido Key on the navy's dime, while participating in salvage operations pretty close to the Florabama lounge.

There was a navy minesweeper tender that had been bought by the airforce and was moored in the Gulf of Mexico for "smart bomb" testing. Hurricane Frederick blew it off of its moorings and it was beached during a 9 ft over normal high tide, tide.

This ship had to be at least 300 ft long, if not longer. Had at least a single 3' 50 cal mount on the bow and a huge elevated helicopter deck on the stern.

You could walk right up to the side of this thing, witout even getting your feet wet. This thing required two months of work, three salvage/rescue ships from Service Squadron 8 and a team of salvors from Harbor Clearance Unit Two (now known as Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit Two).

We spent quite a few of our off nights in the Florabama, but the work on the salvage mission kept us pretty tired.

Eventually, we pulled the ship off the beach and it was towed to Pensacola. We went home to get some R and R, only to come back to Pensacola a month later, to ready our prize for sea. We then scuttled it in the Gulf of Mexico.

I think we saw John Prine playing for the crowd out there at the Florabama...this would have been about 1979.

KnowledgeSeeker said:
skyking it can't be that bad! I know Aurora isn't the number one spot to be, but you do have access to some really amazing places with a short drive west into the mountains. I would be curious, though, what the good qualities of home is compared to your present place of residence.

Aurora is way ghetto. Period. If I have to live in CO I would rather be in Colorado Springs or Castle Rock. My job dictates living in the Denver Area so COS is out. Castle Rock is filled with moronic California and Texas transplants. The real estate market in Castle Rock is so high, I would need a $15K-$20K raise to afford to live there.

And the mountains don't really hold that much allure for me. I rarely ski and when I have time off during the weekends the traffic is so bad up I-70 I would rather stay home than have to deal with the a-holes on the road.

Also, everything in the DEN area is so spread out, yet the interstates are horribly congested. Terrible urban planning. When I lived in MKE I could drive from my house on the south side to downtown and it would only take 15 minutes in a city with 600,000+ people. I live about the same distance to downtown Denver now and it will take twice as long to drive. Sickening...

SK:cool:

Re: Where?

erj-145mech said:
Typhoon, I moved [to Knoxville] from IAH, and really enjoy the climate, area, and people. I think that you'll enjoy it here.
You're preachin' to the choir, my friend! I lived in Maryville from 5th grade all the way through college. Go Vols!
Originally posted by Ailerongirl
Is that why you haven't brought the boys to visit [Philadelphia] yet?
No, I'm just terrified by the idea of non-reving with two babies! :eek:
Originally posted by flywithastick
...in a van down by the river.
:D That's funny! (I can't believe nobody uses that guy as their avatar...)

Last edited:
Livin in the truck.

Since my old lady threw me out, I live in my truck. I bid 4-day trips to take advantage of company funded housing in layover hotels, and when I'm not working, I stay at a really nice hotel for an airline rate of $25 a night. They have free beer from 5-7pm and every 10th stay is free. With the exception of having nowhere to put my home theater system, (the acoustics in the bed of my truck are terrible) it's not a bad deal. I figure I can shack up with my new girlfriend about half of the time and 8 nights a month in the hotel ends up being less than a crash pad.

maybe I can sell the movie rights...

Last edited:
I see a blog in your future!

Latest resources

Back