Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YourPilotFriend

YourPilotFriend
I recently ran into an up-and-coming "airline pilot", he was working on his commercial. When I asked him why he wanted to be an airline pilot, he responded "Because of all the girls". I asked him why he thinks that is, and he replied "because the uniform, all the money and the travel benefits". I asked him how much money he expected to make, and he said between $150000 and $300000. Seriously, isn't anybody educating these kids on what this career is? I expected to maybe hear this from a student pilot but commercial? argggh.

Last edited:
I wish someone educated me before I got into this. I do not know whatelse I would have done but at least I would have known before I was stuck.

Maybe if people started telling these kids the truth we'd soon have a pilot shortage and everything would go back to how it was in the glory days . . . . or maybe thats just me dreaming.

are you kidding me???? If people were educated on this type of thing, no one would go to their flight schools, thats why no one teaches anything about it. What amazes me is how fast everyone expects things to happen. 21 year olds expecting to be left seat of a 747 by the time they are 25. We have become an impatient world. Hard work is not rewarded anymore, its all about who you know, and who can you screw over to get to the top. Thats why people with money win, and can go to these flight schools and get into a crj with 300 hours, while their parents pay back their loans while they are making 21 dollars an hour.

I wish someone educated me too before I got myself into it. I'd probably be flying still instead of waiting for the banks to arrest me. So what did you end up telling this kid? I hope you gave him a healthy dose of reality.

I told him the truth, but I fear kids only hear what they want to hear. Why would he believe me if he's been lied to all his life?

Maybe he needs to hear it from a few more people the same story. I thought I'd be able to make just over $100K as Captain someday, but never dreamed that I would be in the $300k range. Someone must have sold this kid a bridge or two in the past.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back