• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

where are all the egpws stories?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While we are at it, anyone heard of companies turning off EGPWS callouts? Company I fly with has all planes callouts below 500' disabled. No one knows why. One pilot says he doesnt like them and is glad they are disabled. Craziest thing I've ever hear of. What could you say to the FAA or NTSB if ................??

While we are at it, anyone heard of companies turning off EGPWS callouts? Company I fly with has all planes callouts below 500' disabled. No one knows why. One pilot says he doesnt like them and is glad they are disabled. Craziest thing I've ever hear of. What could you say to the FAA or NTSB if ................??

call outs such as 500ft and 50ft 40 30 20 10 are options at install, they are not required.

It occurred to me I have read a lot of stories about how radar or onboard nexrad has helped pilots avoid terrible weather, how windshear alerts have helped prevent those accidents, how other electronic devices have kept others alive but I cannot recall a single story about how the GPSW saved anyone. "there we were, blissfully blasting towards a mountaintop and the thing started squawking so we climbed...looking back at it we were off course........"
Are they (the accounts) out there? Or is the system not all they hoped?

from Honeywell:

Honeywell pioneered the first Terrain Awareness and Warning System (TAWS) over 30 years ago. Today, we offer Enhanced TAWS protection in our "EGPWS" for thousands of aircraft of all types around the world. EGPWS is already credited with 30 documented aircraft saves

True...........sort of. An option at install AND any other time you want to enable or disable - its in the Honeywell manual. Again, while disabling the low altitude callouts seems crazy to me, I'm not above saying I'm wrong or there was good reason I'm unaware of. I'd just like to hear one.............

Ours went off at night, in the snow at kcrw. We were at 8000 decending for the ILS 23. Makes you age prematurely. We checked, rechecked and re-re-checked the altimeters and plates. We were EXTRA cautios on the approach wich was about 400 1/2.

Latest resources

Back