Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When you tell someone you are a pilot, why do they do that hand gesture?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
She asked him if his goal was to fly for the airlines.

Yep, that's gotta be the most common question I get. Most people asking me seem to think that all those "other" planes flying over their heads are just classrooms and stepping stones. WTF?

By the same line of thinking, I suppose they'd assume all nurses want to be doctors.

Catbert said:
Yep, that's gotta be the most common question I get. Most people asking me seem to think that all those "other" planes flying over their heads are just classrooms and stepping stones. WTF?

By the same line of thinking, I suppose they'd assume all nurses want to be doctors.
Well..the pilot profession IS largely based on a system of stepping stones. Not for everyone, but in general, thats the way it is.

gkrangers said:
Well..the pilot profession IS largely based on a system of stepping stones. Not for everyone, but in general, thats the way it is.

True enough. As a CFI I'm wobbling around on the first stone myself. It just floors me that most people who ask that question never even consider the idea that someone would *want* to fly something other than an airliner.

The worst is when people ask if you can get them free tickets. And somehow whether you're flight instructing, flying freight, or whatever, they still expect you to be able to get them positive space business class on UAL to Tokyo. Even if they just met you...

A few years back National Geogaphic did a program on aerial firefighting and air tanker operations. (my .01 moment of fame...I was in a shot, but you have to freeze frame it to even tell--and then someone has to tell you what you're seeing, and I did do some of the flying in the show). Among others, they picked a well known figure in the industry to interview. This person has flown just about everything that's been used to drop retardant, and has been at it for a long time now.

They were after exciting stories of death and mayhem, something like the action scenes in the movie "always," I suppose. Bill insisted that they interview him in a coin-op laundrymat. They tried asking if anything exciting had happened. He told them that once he got the coloreds mixed with the whites and ruined a load of laundry. Or about the time he got a machine that had been used to wash jeans, and it messed up the entire batch. They asked about what it takes to be in the field doing what he did. He began telling them that the most important thing when you get into town is to find the right laundrymat. And then he went into excruciating detail (as only he can) about just what that process involves.

Another long time name was most concerned, and opined at great length, about the water that was available to drink at the tanker base. In fact, he was obcessed with it. Over all, I don't think the great heroics and drama that the producers were trying to elicit was there to be had. The most exciting story circulating, and one they finall used, was that of the Santa Barbara Nixon burger...a hamburger that Nixon had taken one bite from, and discarded when he passed through the SBA tanker base one day (the base is a presidential secure site...a real shocker if you've ever been there).

One of the pilots preserved the burger by sticking it in the freezer, where it eventually became freeze dried and preserved forever. It became the base mascot, even appearing on the base tee-shirts (Santa Barbara Air Attack Base, Home of the Nixon Burger, with a hamburger with one bite out of it, at the center of a pair of wings). Rivalries set up trying to steal the nixon burger, and ultimately one of Aero Union's Captains enshrined it in lucite by using a tupperware bowl with clear plastic to seal it forever. Following the show, a lot of money was offered for the nixon burger, and a request came for it from a national library, as well as the Smithsonian.

Not really what National Geographic, or the drama hungry public was looking for, but it was the most exciting thing they could come up with for the show, so they ran with it.

What do you want to be when you grow up, son?

Why would I grow up?

You can't fly airplanes forever. Some day you'll need to show some responsibility and get a real job.

Many moons ago I was dating a young lady, and had an opportunity to speak with her father. I mentioned to him that I was concerned that she was dating me for me, and that she might be attracted to the idea that I was a pilot, instead. He started laughing. Uncomfortably so. He pointed out that both he and his wife had doctorates, with experience and accolades in their chosen fields. He said,

"Do you really think after growing up seeing parents with real credentials that she'd be naive enough to be impressed by you being a pilot? That's ridiculous. Of course she likes you. Impressed by your job? That's a good one. That's really good."

It is possible to be 5'9" and still actually feel 1" tall. Weight watchers should try it out. It really works.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back