Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When you tell someone you are a pilot, why do they do that hand gesture?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"this one time, on American, we hit an air pocket..."

Yes! Everyone feels compelled to tell you their scary flying experiences. "We were getting bounced all over the place! Have you ever had that?"

8inMan said:
Yes! Everyone feels compelled to tell you their scary flying experiences. "We were getting bounced all over the place! Have you ever had that?"

Or the time their luggage got lost in Kalamazo...

Usually they always say "Oh there's some good money in that." Give me a break. I keep trying to explain that its not the case but the explanation could end up into a 30 minute conversation. So yeah I usually go with "I'm the manager at the Geek Squad."

Headwind said:
I don't tell people what I do for a living. If they ask I tell then I work for a Mfg. company. They don't need to know what I do for the company.Most people have no idea how or why a corporate flight Dept. operates and trying to explain gets old. I usually change the subject.

HEADWIND

Agreed. I used to do the same when I flew corporate.

When I used to fly ag and tell people I was an ag pilot, I got the same old standard response; "Oh, you're one of those CRAZY pilots". That occasionally was followed up by "I saw a cropduster almost crash one time...", usually uttered by someone who had never set foot on a farm, and wouldnt know an ag aircraft from a Bonanza. Of course, living in a small town, EVERYONE knows what you do for a living. People here know I fly pipeline patrol, and I swear I hear this one no less than 3 times a week; "was that you that flew over my house yesterday?"

"Do you ever get scared?"

Yeah, whenever I look at who's running my airline... :rolleyes: TC

My favorite is how far can you go.
I tell them 3 hours, then I get out and go to the bathroom.
Of course, if it's a good looking woman, I say, all night.

I've never seen anybody do the hand gesture.

I was flying with the VP of a company, and on a day off we took a ride down a river. A girl in the boat asked him what we did, and he told her. She asked if we ever wanted to fly commercially. He politely said yes, we were commercial pilots. She asked him if his goal was to fly for the airlines. Bearing in mind he was the owner and VP of a tanker operation, and he was well into his career and unlikely to change, he looked embarassed about how to answer.

He finally replied, "That would be...a...step...down."

I started laughing so hard I nearly fell out of the boat.

He was right.

When people ask what I do for a living, I have to be honest.

"I'm still not sure."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back