Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When would you take the controls from the captain?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Had a friend get this question at a American Eagle interview. How would you guys/gals answer?

At this point in my life I would ask for the next question. It's a ridiculous question to begin with and I have heard 10 different answers and no one, not even Mr./Ms. Interviewer, knows what the right answer is. "CRM....lip service lip service lip service, captain's experience.....lip service lip service, lip service....I don't really know enough to say when he's wrong lip service lip service lip service...." Blah.

Glad I'm not doing an airline interview any time soon. Honestly, if the time ever came I assure you it would be justified. Then I'd look right at that H.R. hag and tell her she had 10 seconds to ask me a real question or "I'm walkin outta this beotch." followed by a raucous "Check out F.I. dot com and see how I roll, muthaf*^%er!! I'm SVCTA! AHHHHH!"

Last edited:
Um, what?

Oh...that's easy! When the last 10 minutes of his conversation with YOU was about how depressed and unfulfilled his life is and that he's had thoughts of suicide......fun "prozac" psycho stuff like that!

Then again....What Would Spock Do? ......WWSD?
Make sure its logical before you grab and fill out a nasa report when you land.

Last edited:
That's easy, I would take the controls when the captain says: "you've got the controls."

But seriously, we know what this is eluding to. If the captain's gonna kill you, do what you gotta do. However, the last thing you want to do is engage a tug of war on the controls. One company recommended that if it came down to that, I should whack the captain over the head with a fire extingusher, and then take control.

When the captain says "you have the flight controls" or when a successful outcome to the flight is in doubt.

That's easy, I would take the controls when the captain says: "you've got the controls."

But seriously, we know what this is eluding to. If the captain's gonna kill you, do what you gotta do. However, the last thing you want to do is engage a tug of war on the controls. One company recommended that if it came down to that, I should whack the captain over the head with a fire extingusher, and then take control.
I would use the crash axe!!

Most GOMs contain a clause about incapacitated crew members. Usually it says that if you ask something 3 times (required calls) and get no response you should consider that crew member incapacitated. Of course, you should use some common sense as well.

Easy answer. If the crazy ol mofo does something that will lead to me becoming a smouldering crater within the next several seconds, I'm taking the wheel. This will be followed by a barrage of "WHAT THE FLIPPIN HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

Latest resources

Back