When will u know where your based at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, at the bottom of the list anyway.

In the last vacancy bid 1 new hire went to MCO, 5 to MDW, and the rest to OAK.

MDW is continuing to grow, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more new hires start going there. Be ready to go to OAK, though, most new guys have gone there for the last few years.

T1bubba said:
Yes, at the bottom of the list anyway.

In the last vacancy bid 1 new hire went to MCO, 5 to MDW, and the rest to OAK.

MDW is continuing to grow, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more new hires start going there. Be ready to go to OAK, though, most new guys have gone there for the last few years.

Bummer. I was hoping for BWI...

OAK, MDW, BWI can be obtained either immediately after training or within 1-2 months after initially going to your first base

MCO, PHX can get to within 4-6 months from hitting the line

HOU - 5-8 months to get there

DAL - 8-15 months to get there

All of this assumes there are classes coming in behind you....if not then none of the above applies.....I would hold off recommending to anyone moving to any place until you get in the system & see what is going on....moving is stressful enough without having to deal with a new job & environment. Just my opinion....get in the system, talk to folks & let the dust settle from making a new move to a company...there maybe a lot of good deals that one can learn about that may save your friend some money once he gets into the "system"....good luck to your friend as he joins the SWA team!!!

rumor on line is that MDW will have 1200+ pilots..biggest base yet.

There has been a HUGE sucking sound the last few months as MDW pulls pilots from every base.

YMMV

SWA runs vacancy bids at the end of the month for 2 months out. For example at the end of April there will be a vacancy bid for June. So if you start class early in the month it may be 3-4 weeks before you know where your first real base will be. However because that bid is for quite some time out the company will assign you a temporary domicle for you at the end of training and they try very hard to give you your first choice. My entire class got their first choices, although that again is only for a month or so.

psysicx said:
If you want Oak as you base how long to hold a line?

I would say hardly any time at all if not for the fact that so many new hires that pass through OAK and they are all guarenteed a hard line the first month there so it forces some pilots senior to them to get reserve. The reality is you are talking about low single digits in terms of months I would guess.

I am a mentor for a new hire that was in OAK for one month (APR) after IOE. He is in BWI for May.

Latest resources

Back