Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When was the last time you flew a small airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Prior to flying in a friends 172 last month it had been nearly 6 years. Flair was ugly...need that radar altimeter readout...

LJ-ABX said:
I've flown a Diamond DA20-C1 Katana/Eclipe twice in March. Prior to that it had been fifteen years.

I'm still flaring it a little bit high, though. If I wait to flare until I "feel" like I'm already about 15 feet BELOW the runway then I'm only flaring about 10 feet too high! :)

About a year, R 114 fun plane but very light on the controls.
Remember when we thought a 4 place retract high performance control feel was very trucklike?

Any of you guys flown a Bellanca lately? That thing kicked my @ss the first time I tried to land it. Wasn't a student pilot landing, but I got my three take-off and landings in one pass.

Its been almost two years. I have to renew my JAA Single engine soon since its only valid for two years. Don't know how I will do on the landings without height callouts, probably scare the crap out of the instructor.

My logbook shows just over a year from flying a Citabria. As most of my time was CFI'ing before being hired I have most of that time in Cessnas and Pipers. However, what I miss flying the most was the school's Citabria. I miss those days.

I never knew diversions were so much fun until being at the airlines where barring any unforeseen circumstances you are basically going from A to B with no option of saying "... hey that little airport looks fun let's go over there." Believe me I've tried it but captains just don't seem to want to go for it. Still having a good time though.

RAV

Aww come on

atrdriver said:
August 1998. I think about renting a 172 all the time, then I think of all the ways a single piston can kill me and I reconsider.

Not to pick on you, but I'm curious how you came to this conclusion?

And to take issue with the way you made the statement - I don't think it's the airplane that kills someone, more likely the pilot flying it. If it's a well maintained plane from a good FBO, I don't think it's any more prone to failure than any other airplane.

U of I Tweak said:
Not to pick on you, but I'm curious how you came to this conclusion?

And to take issue with the way you made the statement - I don't think it's the airplane that kills someone, more likely the pilot flying it. If it's a well maintained plane from a good FBO, I don't think it's any more prone to failure than any other airplane.

I don't want to speek for atr, but I think he probably was talking about ways he could kill himself. I remember checking out a former instructor, who moved on to a regional, in a Mooney (this person was very profficient at one time in that airplane). This person gave up after one trip around the pattern and decided that a 172 might be a better way to go. At the time I remember thinking "how the heck, can this person fly a turboprop around safely". Now I understand, I have only been out of small airplanes for seven months but I would never take one out without an instructor sitting next to me.

That's totally understandable. Just seemed to me that the way he worded it made it seem like he thought that after flying big equipment, GA planes were too scarey and dangerous. Much like passengers ask me if the "little" Saab is safe. I can understand and laugh at that coming from someone who has no clue, but I would expect a pilot not to think the same way.

Anyway, it was not my intention to offend in any way, I just found it to be slightly curious.

91 said:
Ouch is right. If I remember correctly, the 152's at the flight school where I did my private were $40/hr, a mere 12 years ago. When we were setting up my training, my father commented that the Tri-pacer that he flew for his private certificate (mid 60's) was something like $12 or 15/hr. For 60 or 70 you could "upgrade" to the luxurious 172 with LORAN and, GET THIS, a 2-axis autopilot! I wonder what such high-tech equipment runs for now.

Yeah, outside of flying with my Dad when I was a kid my logbook shows my first "official" lession on 3/21/1990 when I was 15. It was in the same C-152 that I rented last Thur. In 1990 that 152 was $40/hr and the instructor was 24/hr. 64/hr total plus 6% PA sales tax is $67.84/hr.

My dad learned to fly while in high school bach in 1967-1968 at Pennridge and Quakertown Pennsylvania. A few of the "old heads" I hang out with at DYL tell me that back then at Q-town and Pennridge the 150's and PA-28's my dad flew were around $10/hr to $15/hr including instructor. Some of thoes guys were full-time CFI's back then and tell me that the $3-4/hr that they made was enough to live on comfortably.

Funny I was looking thru my dad's logbook from back then and see all the airports he flew into around here and out at Penn State that are now closed and are either malls or home developments.

Personally I am always flying "light" aircraft whenever I get the chance. I have owned a single for many years. Always off for the $100 burger or just stooge around the local area! I know there are many in our company that also own aircraft of all sizes and types. It's good to just go up and do your own thing without bitching passengers, rampers, CSR's etc. My way of returning back to why I love to fly and for real fun gliding does it for me (reminds you what the rudder is for!!)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back