Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When was the last time you flew a small airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left GA (instructing) after over 9 years of GA, in 2001 to go to a regional. Since that time I have flown in 172s with a friend about an average of twice a year. It is going on 10 months now for me. Now that I'm recently furloughed (and in training at another regional where I'll probably quit, because more SIC time and burger flipping wages are not worth it anymore) I am probably going to increase my involvement in GA again, esp. if I quit the airlines (pending an iffy recall).

The main thing I notice when I get back into a GA cockpit is how tight and cramped it is, as well as the anemic rate of climb (even compared to a CRJ!~). But it is as fun as I remember it for the sheer personal freedom, which far exceeds that of the airline world even in this age of domestic ADIZ's.

I do remember one awesome thing about my instructing days: home every night. However, I also recall working 6 days a week or so to keep students from drifting off, which is less time off than even the crappiest regional contract.

According to our know-it-all travelling public, the last time I flew a small airplane was today! The ol Saab 340! "puddle jumper", "lil prop plane" and the best one I've had someone say, as I was waiting at the counter for our flight, "Are we flying in one of those rubber band aircraft?"

So all you turboprop crews, double check the integrity of the rubberbands in each engine on your next preflight and give it an extra twist for good measure!

not to hijack this thread or anything, but i just wanted to comment that i have seen at least 3 people with quotes from Training as their signature. that guy's flame baiters party the other day was unreal. i hope to god that he was just messing around.

i just thought that i'd throw that in there. we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Took my little girl up with one of my buds who still flies a little GA. She got scared but there is always next year. Hopefully soon. God I can't wait, she seems to really love airplanes.

Last flew a "small airplane" in March of '01. Got a few laps in the pattern on my buddy's employers (my former employer as well) in a 172 at night. I tried to fly the profile and power settings I remembered, and it didn't work. I was bummed.

But I miss doing touch and goes with the window open. Alot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back