Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
In my military world we didn't turn on strobes until taking the runway and turned them off exiting the runway. NAV lights were on with engine power IIRC.

In my CubCrafters FX-3 POH the engine start procedure is IBBS ON, STROBES ON, MASTER ON...engine start.

This seems odd to me.

I would think the correct option is NAV lights on with engine start. I believe though NAV lights are only required for twilight and later i.e. after sunset.

Anyone care to re-educate me on what lights should be on and when as I think I'm being steered wrong by the CubCrafters POH.

There’s definitely some variety out there. Reg wise it’s 91.209. Loosely, anti-collision lights any time the aircraft is “operating“ with the usual caution about not blinding yourself or others. Position lights at night when moving.AIM 4-3-23 contains a good discussion of its application.

But that still provides some leeway. The most common procedure I’ve seen in 30+ the years of light GA is the one in your CubCrafters manual - anti-collision lights (rotating beacon only at night if separate from strobes) before turning the key as a signal the airplane is about to start, with modification when you might blind people.

Typically, as a I recall, a red beacon indicates engine running. We don't have that so NAV lights I think would be the alternative for indication of engine running. Just seems odd to have strobes on when taxiing. Counter to what I've done most of my life, doesn't mean one is right or wrong. Same with landing light, typically that's only on when taking the runway, then taxi light while taxiing at night, again, most "cubs" don't have taxi lights but the point is when to turn "landing lights" on or off come to mind such as in daytime ops, turning it off clearing the runway, if used.

Standard operations procedure with most FAR 135 and 121operations;
Navigation lights on when aircraft electrical system energized.
Beacon on prior to engine start and while engine is operating.
Taxi light "flash" to alert marshaler when ready to taxi.
Taxi light on while moving.
Taxi light off when stopped and holding.
Strobe lights on while taking runway.
Taxi and landing light off while in position and holding on runway.
Taxi and landing lights on when cleared for takeoff.
Taxi and landing lights off climbing out of 10,000' [in a light airplane when clear of airport traffic area].
Taxi and landing lights on descending out of 10,000'.
Strobe and landing lights off when clearing runway after landing.
Taxi light off when approaching marshaler on ramp.
Beacon off after engine shutdown.
Navigation lights off when de-energizing electrical system.

An airplane equipped with strobe lights and no beacon is inadequately equipped. Strobe lights flashing while the airplane is on the ground and not on the runway is bad form. While flying an airplane equipped like this, I turn the strobes on for a very brief time prior to engine start. I hate to do this, especially at night, but think an external alert that the propeller is about to turn is the lesser of evils.

All of the above is a moot point when flying my Cub, which is not equipped with an electrical system or lights. Life is lot simpler now!

Last edited:
An airplane equipped with strobe lights and no beacon is an inadequately equipped. Strobe lights flashing while the airplane is on the ground and not on the runway is bad form. While flying an airplane equipped like this, I turn the strobes on for a very brief time prior to engine start. I hate to do this, especially at night, but think an external alert that the propeller is about to turn is the lesser of evils.
This is why I think NAV lights serve the purpose, it shows the aircraft is occupied/energized and anyone around should take caution. I "think" it serves as the alternate to a beacon. I hate the strobes on engine start to shutdown, I think that is incorrect. Opinion only.

I'm aware of that, have flown many, and stand by my statement.
If I was purchasing a new airplane and the manufacturer tried to deliver it that way, I would tell them to either try again or refuse delivery.

I'm aware of that, have flown many, and stand by my statement.
If I was purchasing a new airplane and the manufacturer tried to deliver it that way, I would tell them to either try again or refuse delivery.
You are excluding a good number of capable airplanes, but that’s your choice.

My point is that installing a flashing beacon on an airplane is not difficult or involve recertification. If I was paying for a new airplane, I would expect my request to be accommodated when I speced the airplane. If purchasing a used airplane in that configuration, I would install a beacon. No airplanes need be excluded.

Since the regulation for operating an airplane at night requires navigation lights and any type of anti-collision lighting, strobe lights without a beacon are, of course, legal. If I never operated the airplane at night, I could live with that configuration. If operating at night, in the interest of consideration for others on the ramp and a professional standard, It would be my personal choice to operate with a flashing or rotating red beacon.

My point is that installing a flashing beacon on an airplane is not difficult or involve recertification.
Kind of wonder what would be involved doing that in an airplane that was neither designed nor wired for one. Say, a Cirrus or Diamond.

Latest resources

Back