• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question When to turn lights on?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are nav lights sufficient to work in place of the beacon as an indicator the aircraft is under power? I hate the idea of strobes prior to the runway.

Are nav lights sufficient to work in place of the beacon as an indicator the aircraft is under power? I hate the idea of strobes prior to the runway.
I never really noticed strobes being a big problem during the day unless you’re too damn close. But at night, definitely position lights for taxi if there is no beacon.
Let’s not get too wrapped up in the trees. The forest is about being visible when that engine is running,

Good point. Lucky for me, I'm not in the market for a Cirrus or a Diamond. My Cub, which again has no lights and no electrical system, is adequate for my needs.

In the airline life.

Red Beacon on at Pushback and stays on till engines off
Taxi Light - on just prior to aircraft movement, off when holding short per ATC or giving way to another aircraft
Landing Lights - on with takeoff clearance and off passing 10,000. Back on at 10,000 descending and on until clear of the runway.
Strobes - On when crossing running or on runway for takeoff. Off when clear of runway and taxiing
Nav Lights / Position lights - Always On

Latest resources

Back