Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When to make a full instrument approach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Racetrack for pt??

I agree with crossing the fix twice. That's the most common sense answer. However, in a non radar environment you are cleared for ILS 31. You fly from the VOR located on the field on like a 131 rad for five mi to reach LOM. The IAF is the LOM which is also the FAF (yes I know the REAL FAF is capturing GS @ the published altitude). There is a bold racetrack at the LOM meaning required course reversal. Technically, one should have to make at least one circuit around that track if it is depicted even though after executing a teardrop turn you may are established on the inbound course.

Common sense would say, if you are established inbound, as you cross the FAF again continue down the GS. However, according to how I am reading it, one must fly whatever PT is depicted. If one isn't depicted, it is your choice as to what course reversal you choose.

mini you probably answered that for me in your last post, I'm just idiotic and need to here it again.

I don't like to get into these nonsense discussions but this one I will. The depiction of a racetrack course reversal only means you need to stay close to the fix in your reversal. The language "must be flown as depicted" means only that IF you need a course reversal it will be within the confines of a racetrack entry. No driving out 10 miles or so and then the 45 degree "standard" reversal. If there is a"'No Pt" route arrival available and you are on it, or you are on radar vectors to the final, you go straight in. The reason the racetrck type PT is required, IF you need it, is usually crowded airspace and the need to keep you in close.-DC

Latest resources

Back