Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
I submitted my resume via email to a company.
My question is this:

How soon should I follow up on the resume?
How should I follow up (send a follow up email? phone and verify they got the resume? etc).

They had an online form for employment on their website, and an email address for emailing resumes.
It has been about a week since I sent the resume.

Thanks.
:p

Resume followup

No matter what anyone says, a week is too soon to follow-up or update.

Times sure have changed. When I was actively seeking aviation employment ten years ago, the only ways to submit a resume were by mail, by personal hand-delivery, or by having someone walk it in to H.R. I sure don't like e-mailing a resume. It's too easy for a disinterested H.R. conehead to zap it. That puts you in the quandry of how to follow-up, because it is written that thou shalt be persistent but not annoy the pilot recruiter, lest he reacheth down from the heavens and blackball thee. I also don't like faxing resumes because H.R. is sure to be sick of facsimile spam. Also, the resume that you took so much time to design, write and polish won't show up as well on facsimile. Moreover, so many places scan resumes and a faxed resume may scan inaccurately.

Having said all that, the times to follow-up are when you add time and/or a rating, changed your status, e.g. new job or moved, or if you hear the place is hiring. Absent these conditions, update every four to six months.

Your resume should be accompanied by a good, focused and brief cover letter explaining the reason for the update. E.g. "I should like to update my file with the enclosed resume. I have added flight time." (paragraph) "I have flown an additional 200 hours since I submitted my first resume to you on June 1, 2002. My flight time now stands at 1000 total hours and 300 multiengine hours. I expect to add more time on my current flight schedule." (paragraph) I will appreciate any consideration for a Flight Officer position with Mediocre Commuter Airlines. Thank you again for your time." Something like that.

It depends on the company if you should call and ask if they received your resume. If it is a regional, you will annoy them. Regionals receive far too many resume to permit them to track each one, so calling to ask if a regional received your materials is sure to antagonize them. Other places might be different. Think about it carefully. I sure wouldn't send an e-mail under any circumstances because that kind of cold, impersonal, impudent communication is sure to antagonize.

Call me old school. I still think it's better to send in a resume by mail or hand-deliver it if possible. It's sure to be misplaced or ignored through other ways of transmittal.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your job search.

Thanks.
The resume was sent to a local company who has a charter service. I was thinking of heading down there, with a printed copy of my resume in hand, and ask if they had received it, and if they haven't hand it to the appropriate person. I had a read receipt on the email I sent, and I haven't gotten anything back saying it was "read" per say.

Followup

gizbug said:
Thanks.
The resume was sent to a local company who has a charter service. I was thinking of heading down there, with a printed copy of my resume in hand, and ask if they had received it, and if they haven't hand it to the appropriate person. I had a read receipt on the email I sent, and I haven't gotten anything back saying it was "read" per say.
Now, that, I'd do. Dress professionally, as if you were heading to an interview. Who knows, someone might want to speak with you right then and there and you want to be prepared. Depending on how you are received, maybe you could ask for a minute with the Chief Pilot.

Once again, good luck with your job search.

When sending resumes to local companies, I always hand deliever them. Except when their security makes it impossible to. Mail is the second best way. But I disagree with bobbysamd about faxes. The new fax machines are up to the level of computer prints. Heck, in fact many of them are computer printers. Most of the companies I have worked with or for don't allow any faxes to be thrown out without an official OK. There are too many legal and official documents being transmitted this way these days.

But as far as I am concerned, in person delieverly is best. Now you are a face, not just a couple of pieces of paper. Dress nicely. mind your manners. 'Yes Mam', 'No Mam', 'Please', and 'Thank you'. But I don't have to tell you that, Right?

Thanks for the advice I'm in the same boat, kind of.

I submitted some resumes, and I now I want to follow up on them. I have the personal phone number and e-mail of the HR and CEO of the company I want to work for (it's a small company in the DC area).

I want to contact them soon so they don't forget about me, but not before they had a chance to look my resume over.

What kind of questions can I ask?

I just want to drive home the point that I would like to have an interview, but I don't want to sound too needy. But I do know the company has a lot (over 100) openings posted.

Most companies in aviation do not acknowledge the receipt of a resume anymore so don't sweat it. IMO the best methods of delivering a resume are, in order of best to worst:

1) Hand-delivered by another pilot (prefferably) who will give you a referral and back you up with a letter of recommendation if required.

2) By fax, since there is no question as to if and when they received it.

3) By e-mail if they have an address specifically for pilots to apply.

4) By regular mail. They probably have stacks of resumes...yours will either go in the stack or get "filed" in the trash can depending on what they see and what they're looking for.

5) Hand-delivered in person. Usually you cannot get past the receptionist anyway and they may not like you by your appearance even if you look good on paper. First impression.

As far as follow up is concerned... if you really want it, I think once a month wouldn't be too much unless they say otherwise, and to follow-up by another means like mail if it was e-mail or fax seems like a good idea also.

That being said, I've been doing all of the above for the last four months and have managed only one interview, one application, and one acknowledegment of resume received. So, either I'm going about it the wrong way or its just really tough out there!

Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back