• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's your side job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly jumpers on the weekend and barback a few nights a month. I recently had an interview with Family Video (midwestern chain) for a manager position. I was not qualified to be a manager due to my lack of supervisory experience. Apparently having a 4 year degree and supervising the safety of peoples' lives does not qualify one to rent movies. Pathetic. I also volunteer at the Humane Association. Beats dealing with PEOPLE barking at you all day, eh?

I turor high school math and also do ACT and leap prep. for the math sections. $20 to $25 and hour. The Saab only paid $19 and hour.

I take the kids to the park while my wife teaches violin lessons at $50.00 per hour. I also try to sell all my days off and get as much OT as possible. Lately that hasn't been working out so great. Backup-doing Annuals but that can turn into a royal pain in the neck if you get the wrong people.

Spend my spare time in the mortgage business. With the low interest rates we've been enjoying in the last few years, there is a frenzy of people who want to refinance their homes.

Well I'm in my 6th month of reserve now and still not breaking gaurantee. With a family to support, it was either get a second job or get a divorce. So needless to say, I am now employed in my second profession. PIZZA TRANSPORTATION ENGINEER.
(well i did it in high school and college so i was experienced).
Before we got short on FO's i thought that was my main job and flying was part time.

Oh well, just my 2 cents!!

ASA FO E120

Save drivin' I mean flyin ooops

This takes a little start up capitol, but if you are frugal you will be able to pick up the tools for less than $300. (or you might already have them). Most of the cost is a table saw, electric sander, and jig-saw.

Anyways I build and sell Canoes. It is fairly easy to get plans off the internet, or even at a wood store if you live in a big city. My first canoe took about 100 hrs to build and the materials cost about $400.

Now it takes me about 40-50hrs and I have got the cost down to $300. It is a lot of fun building them, but sometimes a little difficult to sell because I have a zero budget for advertisement. A nice wooden canoe goes for at least $2000. Some people dont even use it to go canoeing, but use it as a decoration piece.

Try it if you are motivated and like to work with wood, but you better stay out of my market. I do have a canoe mafia to come out and break your knuckles if anyone tries to move on my market.

Have any of you ever tried any of those internet marketing programs or anything like that? I thought if I could do something like that, than that would be a good way to get me through flight training.

Latest resources

Back