• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats your back-up plan? (lose medical)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reading about the guy working under the car makes me wonder how many other pilots take daily risks with their careers. If you are going to be working around anything, wear f-n safety glasses. If you're too cool for safety glasses, at least wear sunglasses! How about other projects, if you could lose a finger, is it really worth it? If you drive without a seat belt, you sould have your head examined. You strap into a plane don't you.

Just some concern from your friendly safety officer.

Lose the Medical?

Move to Mexico, South America or the Islands. Still be flying, just under the radar and being paid in cash.

I don't even have to ose my med. that sounds kinda fun rightnow.

check out Bushwings.com some good smuggler stories and photos on there.

I would go back into electronics or work for Jeppesen (AKA the pilot graveyard).

Oh wait... I don't have a flying career yet, and I'm working for Jeppesen now.. Nevermind.

CFI without your medical...

Get your CFI-II-MEI now so that you can instruct without a medical later. The regs allow us to CFI as long as we are not PIC.

OPERATIONS NOT REQUIRING A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE:

FAR 61.23(b, 5) page 40 in the 2002 FAR/AIM.

My CFI FAA examiner asked me that one!

Good luck....

Looking from the other side of the fence, what happened after losing the medical:
1. www.richdad.com: Have that plan in mind before the second wife, retirement, furlough, or permanent disability. Pay 10% of that income to yourself, then make that investment grow.
2. Simulator instructor. Simcom, FSI, Boeing, Lockheed. Pays good, torture pilots on a daily basis, and keep a hand in.
3. UAV pilot. Just like FS2002, except you *really* are killing the enemy.
4. Management: Come to the dark side. . .
5. Be an *evil* instrument flight instructor. Those years of experience and captainship can really make someone's learning take off. Many instructors are gone before they figure out exactly how to fly.
6. Sport pilot. The god/goddess of the Ultralight world.
7. Technical advisor to NASA, AOPA, etc. 79K to read over ASRS reports will keep a person in Depends.
8. Alaskan Bush Pilot. Who's gonna know? Who's gonna care? Drop dead because of the medical condition, oh well. Some bear is gonna be well fed that day.
9. Japan doesn't care about age 60.... yet.
10. Many 747s need PFEs.
11. Many college need (really need, egads!) **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good instructors that can throw some salty experience into the empty heads of young whipper-snappers that think they know everything about aviation.
12. Retire and do nothing for a year... then start the next business. Sell it. Rinse and repeat.
13. What tooo many retirees do... lose the job, die within 6 months.

:confused: Only you with assistance from your family can plan a future. There is no need to be poor, below poverty level, starving, dependent on a government assistance program that may not be around when you need it.

There is no reason to be poor.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

CFI w/o a medical

Having just been down this road, yes, you can instruct w/o a medical. It is a bit restrictive.

BFR - other pilot must be current, meaning not beyond the 2 years time. He must also be current with recent flight expereince (90 days). Going to do night flight? He must be current for that too.

IPC - other pilot must be current IFR. Normally the CFI also acts as safety pilot while flying VFR. Can't do that now as the CFI is not current/appropriately rated. If the other pilot is IFR current this can be done IFR.

Private Pilot training - no can do.

Commercial/CFI training - OK if other pilot is current.

It is better than nothing, but not the greatest situation.

I would either use my Finance degree somehow or go to work as a crew member for a NASCAR winston cup team. I could always go back to being a crewchief for a professional motocross team also. Those are pretty fun jobs, but alot of time away from home, even more than flying.

Drop back 10 yards and punt.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back