What's up with the 2 D cell flashlight?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2 D cell req. is gone...

...now the FARs only mention that the flashlight needs to provide "adequate" lighting.

skystud25 said:
2 D cell req. is gone......now the FARs only mention that the flashlight needs to provide "adequate" lighting.

Nope, still there. From the "e-CFR" current as of Jan 06, 2006:

91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.

(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane:

is this different than what's required at night for the walk-around? I asked my dad this question, he'd an FAA ASI, and he sent me a copy of an FAR which used the phrase "adequate lighting" when discussing the requirements for a walk-around flashlight.

skystud25 said:
is this different than what's required at night for the walk-around? I asked my dad this question, he'd an FAA ASI, and he sent me a copy of an FAR which used the phrase "adequate lighting" when discussing the requirements for a walk-around flashlight.
I don't know what your dad sent you. The only two places I can think of where a flashlight is mentioned in hte regulations is the part of 91.503 I quoted, and 121.549 which says "a flashlight in good working order". Maybe he sent you something which was not an actual regulation, but an excerpt from the section on airline ops manuals from his inspector's handbook?

Last edited:
skystud25 said:

You need the flashlight required by regulation. You can illuminate the aircraft for the walkaround using anything you want, star shells, flares, light a couple of bonfires, it's all good.

CFIse said:
You can illuminate the aircraft for the walkaround using anything you want, star shells, flares, light a couple of bonfires, it's all good.

I want to do walkarounds with you, sounds like a party!

Latest resources

Back