What's up with the 2 D cell flashlight?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whiskey Tango

I am trying to find were exaclty it says that under part 121 you need a D cell flashlight. Part 91.503 requires it for part 91 ops and 121.549 just says "a flashlight in good working order"

Unless I am missing something I can use the watch battery LED flashlight in my pocket for 121 ops and the old mag light for 91 repo legs.

Thanks for the help

Doesn't it also say "...or equivalent."? Which begs the question: Equivalent in what manner? Duration of use? Brightness? Range? Or something other thing?

Usually (not saying this is the absolute truth) when talking about flashlight equivalents, you are talking about battery voltage. A D-Cell battery puts out 1.5 volts, therefore 2 D-Cells = 3 volts. A mini mag lite uses two AA-cells. One AA = 1.5 volts. So you could say that an equivalent to a 2 D-Cell battery mag light is any flashlight that uses two batteries that put out 1.5V each, i.e. a battery with 2 D-cells, C-cells, AA's, AAA's, whatever. I could be wrong here, but that's how it was explained to me.

Whiskey Tango said:
I am trying to find were exaclty it says that under part 121 you need a D cell flashlight. Part 91.503 requires it for part 91 ops and 121.549 just says "a flashlight in good working order"

Unless I am missing something I can use the watch battery LED flashlight in my pocket for 121 ops and the old mag light for 91 repo legs.

Thanks for the help

You can look all you want, it's not in there anymore.

My company (121) only requires a flashlight. Doesn't have to be a D cell, and can be as small as you want.

chperplt said:
You can look all you want, it's not in there anymore.

My company (121) only requires a flashlight. Doesn't have to be a D cell, and can be as small as you want.

Chperplt is correct.

Thats becuase there is no such thing as a D-cell flashlight anymore. They dont make D-Cell Batteries anymore.

I went round and round with a Fed with this one. I won, he lost. :p

I just spent a whoe night putting D-cells in everything from Gorilla Attack to ESPN shoot around ( NOTE: SHUT UP DICKIE V). I don't think the kids know what a pain batteries are.

Was I mistaken that they weren't "D-CELLS"?

atldc9 said:
I just spent a whoe night putting D-cells in everything from Gorilla Attack to ESPN shoot around ( NOTE: SHUT UP DICKIE V). I don't think the kids know what a pain batteries are.

Was I mistaken that they weren't "D-CELLS"?

Look again. On the battery it will not say "D-Cell" it will say "D-Size"

Trust me on this one folks I went toe to toe with a Fed on this one and I won. Back in the day D-Cell flashlights were infact required under Part 121 regs because they provided adequate Candlelight power.

Now since technology has caught up they are no longer required because:

1. Cell batteries are not made anymore. (Not the way we think of them anyway)

2. A flashlight with C-Size or in some cases even AA-Size can provide the same amount of Candlelight power of the old D-Cell batteries.

Once again look on the battery. It will say D-Size. Thats becuase there is no such thing as a D-Cell battery anymore.

From wikipedia

Cell vs. battery

Strictly, an electrical "battery" is an interconnected array of one or more similar "cells". That distinction, however, is considered pedantic in most contexts (other than the expression dry cell), and in current English usage it is more common to call a single cell used on its own a battery than a cell. For example, a hand lamp (flashlight) (torch) is said to take one or more "batteries" even though they may be D cells. A car battery is a true "battery" because it uses multiple cells. Multiple batteries or cells may also be refered to as a battery pack as a set of multi-cell 12 V batteries in an electric vehicle.

Latest resources

Back