whats up with skyway mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

migio

I shot my resume over to skyway about a month or so ago when i had a little over 1300 hours and then did a follow up call.The woman i spoke with told me that i need 1500/100ME.From what it looks like,they are hiring guys with way less then that.Can anyone please explain that one? I am less then 100 hours from 1500,so once i get that,i guess ill see what happens next.It sucks because im a native of Milwaukee and have lived there most of my life and i feel like i keep getting the runaround. Im currently flying overseas so maybe thats why,because one of the questions that the lady asked me was if i was in Milwaukee.Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

A good majority of the regionals have the flexibility to hire many applicants with lower flight times regardless of the posted minimums should they choose to do so. Present day this practice still occurs but not nearly as much as pre-911 when they were hiring many more versus present day. They can be more "picky" and more "selective" and I think that is the problem that you are running into. If you know any people within the company then I would suggest having them walk your resume in with a LOR attached to it to the appropriate people and this can and usually does make a difference. I am sure the Skyway guys can touch on this in more ways than I could since this will vary from company to company.

Luck also has a lot to do with getting the interview, sometimes that part of the process in even more difficult than getting the actual job.

good luck

3 5 0

I don't know much about sky mins, I am interested in where you island hop, i would really like to get into that, how do you recommend I get started?

migio said:
I shot my resume over to skyway about a month or so ago when i had a little over 1300 hours and then did a follow up call.The woman i spoke with told me that i need 1500/100ME.From what it looks like,they are hiring guys with way less then that.Can anyone please explain that one? I am less then 100 hours from 1500,so once i get that,i guess ill see what happens next.It sucks because im a native of Milwaukee and have lived there most of my life and i feel like i keep getting the runaround. Im currently flying overseas so maybe thats why,because one of the questions that the lady asked me was if i was in Milwaukee.Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Maybe lower time pilots are getting hired because they are local (MKE) pilots. Skyway does place a premium on pilots who already live in the greater SE WI area (including northern IL).

Maybe your living on an island far removed from MKE is having a direct bearing on the situation. I honestly don't know why HR isn't interested.

Peace

What you need is an uncle/dad/brother that will get you the job. If you don't have that then you can always purchase a job. If you have issues with that then be preparied to wait a long time because you will get hired AFTER all the guys who have an unlce chief pilot and AFTER the guys willing to fork out cash for the job. That is the system. Being a good pilot won't help. Having a good attitude won't help. Excellent problem solving skills and a quality education won't add up to much either. Thats why people with fewer hours are being hired.

http://flight-schools.raajobs.com/courses_career.asp
When ASA starts hiring check out http://www.flightsafetyacademy.com/
http://www.panamacademy.com/career.asp

cynic said:
What you need is an uncle/dad/brother that will get you the job. If you don't have that then you can always purchase a job. If you have issues with that then be preparied to wait a long time because you will get hired AFTER all the guys who have an unlce chief pilot and AFTER the guys willing to fork out cash for the job. That is the system. Being a good pilot won't help. Having a good attitude won't help. Excellent problem solving skills and a quality education won't add up to much either. Thats why people with fewer hours are being hired.

Geez, a little bitter??

Don't be angry because people get jobs because of who they know or who they are related to. Because it has been going on for longer than any of us have been in Aviation. Let me ask you, if you met someone who would hook you up with the job at Skyway with lower mins, no PFT/PFJ crap....would you take it?? I'm darn sure you would. Don't bitter towards others because you want the job they have.

Last edited:
T-Gates said:
Geez, a little bitter??

. Let me ask you, if you met someone who would hook you up with the job at ?? I'm darn sure you would.

OK My Good Skyway Enterprises friend now that you work for Tom Loumankin ........is it fair to say that in 1000 time you will be asking your dad at UPS to get you in the next DC8 or B757 Class?

Just wanting to know exactly where youre going with this?;)

Very well said T-Gates.....

The funny thing is you see this type of attitude all the time when someone is unable to obtain the job "they want" at the time "they want it" ...

3 5 0

Ummm, yeah, I'm really bitter I can't work for all the peanuts I can stuff in my cheeks at a regional airline. The system is what it is. It doesn’t make me mad. I have no anger issues. I was just providing an answer as to why others were getting in sooner. If I wanted a job at a regional airline that bad I’d just take out a loan. Jiminy cricket fellows! Calm down.

Running the risk of sounding bitter (I'm not) but it seems what Cynic is saying is nothing but the truth. It does seem that way, and too all of those out there who like to look via a smokescreen won't see it. You either need a) loads of cash b) a very good contact. If not then wait till all those people are taken care of. Be paitent and wait your turn. I know I am :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back