What's the problem with ASA?!?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not as bad as it sounds

No its not that bad man. As with ANYTHING it can be better, but what a lot of people forget is that it could also be worse. Good luck with your interview and PM me if you need any gouge. C-ya

777JP

Reprinted from Aviation Planning
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdan, Lucida]ASA: The Red-Headed Stepchild.[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdan, Lucida] That leaves Skywest the owner of ASA, an operation that is as fundamentally different from Skywest as a coal barge is from a luxury cruise ship. On the surface, ASA just brings problems to the Skywest table. [/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdan, Lucida]Skywest is arguably one of the best-managed corporations, let alone best-managed aviation companies, in the country. Despite the strains of growth over the past three years, it has managed to maintain a culture of clean airplanes, good service, and rational management. The fact that the company remains entirely non-union is a testament to its leadership. Employees seek out union representation when they feel they have legitimate doubts about some aspects of how their airline is run. These, apparently, are not a large part of the work environment at Skywest.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdan, Lucida]ASA, on the other hand, has been, to put it mildly, service-challenged. Small communities throughout the South over the years have a wide range of stories they can relate regarding service quality that at times could only be described as rivaling that of Aeroflot. Concourse C at ATL (the part occupied by ASA) was at one time a living case study in customer service that was "on-automatic," which for all intents and purposes indicated that ASA management had been on a permanent leave of absence. It's possible that Delta has historically lost revenue on the basis of some consumers simply refusing to fly a DL itinerary that involved ASA.[/FONT]
For more reading, look up "SkyWest Adopts a Problem Child" from the Salt Lake City Tribune, October 6th.

It is not just this board. Those who follow aviation are pretty aware of the challenges we face here.

For example, after three years, our managers just walked out of contract negotiations saying that they are unprepared - they have not done a financial analysis. :WOW: They do not know when they might be prepared.

As a Pilot, you will be treated as an enemy. You will be considered overpaid (regardless of the truth) underworked (despite being on duty 330+ hours a month on reserve) and stupid. Any failure of the system is your responsibility.

Last year we had an employee opinion survey sponsored by the Company. Amongst the pilots (including mangement pilots and instructors if I'm not mistaken). Only 8% of the respondents said that they trusted management. Then the comments section of the survey was mysteriously lost. (no kidding)

I keep hoping this place will improve. ASA has a lot of potential. However, today's negotiating update lets us know the trend is not positive.

Last edited:
Learn to treat people like humans!

Could be worse, we just get no respect at all. We are all highly trained pilots but management will take every bit they can.

I don't care what field you are in, you can only beat someone for so long. ASA has given the pilots very little in 4 years. And this goes for the stuff that doesn't cost anything. They just don't want to give us ANYTHING!!

It is human nature to want to get recognized and appriciated for your work and ASA does not do that.

Just look at the Christmas before last. We go 2 cookies in a box. ASA probably made money that year and this all we got. They should of given us nothing. What kills me is that a group of our fine management sat around and though this was a good idea.

Last year we got nothing.

Like I said ASA needs to look at human needs. We can only work for so long without a purpose or respect. It is a good place but I sure hope SW has a bigger heart and knows how to treat people well.

Great companies don't get to be great by treating people the way ASA does.

If they learned how to treat people right ASA could make even more money and maybe people would want to come here.

~~~^~~~ said:
Last year we had an employee opinion survey sponsored by the Company. Amongst the pilots (including mangement pilots and instructors if I'm not mistaken). Only 8% of the respondents said that they trusted management. Then the comments section of the survey was mysteriously lost. (no kidding)

I keep hoping this place will improve. ASA has a lot of potential. However, today's negotiating update lets us know the trend is not positive.

Your exactly right in your post. Yeah it is real funny out of the few years we have had the survey I have never seen the honest full results posted which tells me they were really bad.

av8er2 said:
Just look at the Christmas before last. We got 2 cookies in a box. .

don't worry this year you will maybe get a NORBEST Turkey from SkyWEst INC.

Sad I know.

I wish I knew the background and education of managment/personel at the GO if they even have any. Cause I want to know what managment class or business school teaches it's students to drive the morale of two of the biggest and most influential to the customer into the ground???? Cause that's what they have done with the pilots, FA's and soon to be mechanics at ASA.

If we flew airplnes like they manage the company and its employees we'd bend airplanes most every day. The level of incompitence and inefficiency at the GO is Staggering!

Background on Management?

Funny, Skywest web site has it's top Exec's with their Bio's. I wish ASA posted that on their web site. I'd like to see what education our management has or does not have.

Latest resources

Back