Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the green thing on the nose of this G-V?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's FLIR that is tuned to recognize the light spectrum emitted by airport lighting.

It doesn't work well. The CD produced by Honeywell looks great. In the sim it's magic.

In practice, the obscuration has to be exactly the right density in order to "see" the approach lights and runway environment. We've never seen any of that before it could be seen by the naked eye.

It's a very expensive toy that supposedly will boost the resale value.TC

Groundpounder said:
Most of the time when you have a green thing on your nose it is called a booger.
You pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

AA717driver said:
It's FLIR that is tuned to recognize the light spectrum emitted by airport lighting.

It doesn't work well. The CD produced by Honeywell looks great. In the sim it's magic.

In practice, the obscuration has to be exactly the right density in order to "see" the approach lights and runway environment. We've never seen any of that before it could be seen by the naked eye.

That is interesting to hear, I always wondered how well it worked, sounded like a cool concept.

AA717driver said:

Come on now TC, you sound like sour grapes.. Lets not shift the blame for your tired and aging eyes to the EVS system. GVFlyer will be along soon to scold you. :D EVS is a pretty good system but will never take the place of cataract surgery...

It actually stands for "Eldery Vision Supplement"... Because God knows the "Gulfstream Community" would have you believe that only those over the age of 50 with completely grey hair are truely qualified to fly Gulfstreams. It's basically a half-million dollar set of bifocals projected through a HUD..

Sorry, couldn't resist... :beer:

Last edited:
A handful of G's have it at my airport and they're the only ones that get in when it's all crapped up. (we get swamp fog) Aside from the freight guys that is...;) I've been holding short and barely seen landing lights go by so it must work pretty darn good.

h25b said:
GVFlyer will be along soon to scold you. :D

What can I say? I haven't experienced the difficulties with the EVS system that AA717Driver has...

It has saved my bacon more than once.

It's a pretty neat system.

Enhanced Vision System (EVS) capability is provided by the standard G550 Kollsman FLIR camera. The cryogenically-cooled FLIR camera operates in the 1.3 to 4.9 micron wavelength using a sensor with approximately 320 H x 240 V pixel resolution. The EVS generates a RS-170 video signal which is up-converted to an RS-343 video signal for the Flight Dynamics HUD through a scan converter.

The 1.3 micron range is in the wavelength frequency of runway lights while the longer wavelenghts penetrate clouds and fog. The wavelenght spectrum used by Gulfstream is much more capable in penetrating obscurations than the 8-12 micron band used by competitors.

Keep in mind that this is all transitional technology. There is an ongoing Gulfstream/NASA project that will culminate in the use of milimeter wave radar and synthetic vision on Gulfstream aircraft.

GV

~

Last edited:
GVFlyer said:
Enhanced Vision System (EVS) capability is provided by the standard G550 Kollsman FLIR camera. The cryogenically-cooled FLIR camera operates in the 1.3 to 4.9 micron wavelength using a sensor with approximately 320 H x 240 V pixel resolution. The EVS generates a RS-170 video signal which is up-converted to an RS-343 video signal for the Flight Dynamics HUD through a scan converter.

The 1.3 micron range is in the wavelength frequency of runway lights while the longer wavelenghts penetrate clouds and fog. The wavelenght spectrum used by Gulfstream is much more capable in penetrating obscurations than the 8-12 micron band used by competitors.

GV

~

You 'DA MAN!:beer:

2000flyer said:
You 'DA MAN!:beer:

Aw, shucks...

One of the more difficult parts of developing this system was coming up with a raster generated FLIR image to meaningfully combine with the stroke generated HUD symbology on the combiner glass.

What you see on the HUD is green, jus' like in the movies. The EVS display which you can select on the two 14.1 inch Planeview DU-1310 MFDs (so you don't scare your co-pilot because he can't see what you're seeing in the HUD) is like a finely detailed Ansel Adams black & white photograph.

NASA had been going it alone using a Boeing 757 for synthetic vision development until one of their project pilots was invited to address the Aviation Manager's and Pilots seminar at Gulfstream Workshop in June 2001. When he saw how far along Gulfstream was on this technology he went home to Langley AFB and suggested that NASA join up with the "Big G". Since that alliance was formed the joint test article has been a GV.

GV

GV,
Great info on the EVS, now I have to send my app. to MIT so I can understand it.
(LOL) Mobie

Latest resources

Back