What's the deal with Pink Slips?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ill Mitch said:

So when a doo-doo chump points his finger like a stump, tell him "step off, I'm doin' the hump."

I had one back in the day. Never heard about it again.

kneeshoe said:
4. Why do exams given under part 61 and 142 have pink slips, but not part 141?

You only get pink slips for failing practical tests. If you completed a Part 141 course (with in house examining authority) and received you're license, you never took a practical test. You take an "End of Course" test, which is designed just like a practical test, but officially isn't considered one. Bust that, and it's just another failed lesson.

Look on the back of an 8710, and you'll see they also fill out the section that says "This applicant has completed our approved _______ training course, and we recommend him/her for certification without further practical test". (Not verbatim, but something like that).

Take heart. The guy who pinked you may be sitting across from you at an interview one day (on the sweaty side of the table.) It has happened.

kneeshoe said:
Like many people, I have busted a checkride and received a pink slip. Here are a few questions that I had about it:

1. What does the FAA do with their copy of my pink slip?
2. Will future employers frown upon this?
3. What should I do with the pink slip that I was given?
4. Why do exams given under part 61 and 142 have pink slips, but not part 141?

1. The pink slip is sent in with the file to OKC and kept. A normal review of your record by a perspective employer does not show failures of practical tests or scores that were made on written tests. However, if someone really wants to do a thorough check of your file, a "Blue Ribbon" file report can be accomplished. This will require the FAA to go into your record a find and copy every 8710 form, pink slip, written test report, etcetera. A "Blue Ribbon" file is time consuming and not commonly requested or done by the FAA.

2. I know plenty of people who have had pink slips and it didn't affect much. Naturally if you flunked a P/P ride 5-years ago that is insignificant as compared to flunking an ATP check twice just one month ago. It all just has to be explained if you choose to explain it. Also, depending how you look at thinks, the failure of a CFI test is really not a failure of a “pilot” test.

3. The pink slip is to be turned in to the FAA examiner/inspector upon your re-examination.

4. This has been correctly explained by "chrisdahut24."

chrisdahut24 said:
You only get pink slips for failing practical tests. If you completed a Part 141 course (with in house examining authority) and received you're license, you never took a practical test. You take an "End of Course" test, which is designed just like a practical test, but officially isn't considered one. Bust that, and it's just another failed lesson.

Look on the back of an 8710, and you'll see they also fill out the section that says "This applicant has completed our approved _______ training course, and we recommend him/her for certification without further practical test". (Not verbatim, but something like that).

Unless they changed the rules since 2000 I believe this is incorrect...I failed the oral for my instrument. I flight planned to the wrong airport; or maybe my examiner was just teasing me, told me to come back the next day with an additional 150 dollars. Either way that guy squeezed 400 clams outta me.

H.Agenda said:
Unless they changed the rules since 2000 I believe this is incorrect...I failed the oral for my instrument. I flight planned to the wrong airport; or maybe my examiner was just teasing me, told me to come back the next day with an additional 150 dollars. Either way that guy squeezed 400 clams outta me.

I'm not sure how you're experience is relevant to or invalidates my explanation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back