What's the deal on US Air?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

glasspilot

So, I commuted to work today on US Air. Rode on mainline first leg (A320), then an RJ run by PSA.

I got a complaint and would like to see what ya'll think:

Where does USAir get off making me sit through a five and a half minute "infomercial" for their stupid USAir MasterCard?

I don't think it's fair that they lock you into a metal tube and FORCE you to listen to an advertisement for their crap. I can't think of any other place where it's okay to force someone to listen to your commercial. If I'm watching TV and an ad comes on I can change channels or even turn it off. If I'm at the movies and a commercial is in the trailers I can at least walk out. Printed ads I can simply ignore. My point is I have options.

How is it okay for them to put you in a place where you can not escape and blast nonsense over the PA?

Oh, and that's another point. It's the PA right? Every flight they tell you that "FAA regulations REQUIRE ALL passengers to comply with crewmembers instructions". So now it's a federal law that I listen to their infomercial? How is that right?

Who could you even complain to? USAir? Master Card? The FAA? My congressmen? Some advertising watchdog group? I don't know, I just don't think it's right. There should be a law.

So, what do ya'll think?

give it up

Nope, it's crap. Sorry. If ya'll would get off the PA maybe people wouldn't hate commercial travel so much. I didn't even mention that the pilots gave the forcast weather as well as the ATIS on the same flight. Here's a little tip for ya all. People don't care if the wind is blowing at 5kts from the north or we're landing on runway 35.

If the temperature is 75 degrees we don't care. Every time you key the PA you are inturrupting 100 conversations, waking up 30 people, and disturbing their rest. The only guy who cares is the guy who spends his time taking pictures of airplanes at airports and bloging about it for "fun". You might have carried this guy on 2% of your flights.

And that goes ten fold for those of you who fly planes with inflight entertainment. By the time you're telling me the normal weather at destination I'm trying to gather the conclusion of the movie. Take my advise as normal pax don't post here.

I don't think it's fair that they lock you into a metal tube and FORCE you to listen to an advertisement for their crap. I can't think of any other place where it's okay to force someone to listen to your commercial. If I'm watching TV and an ad comes on I can change channels or even turn it off. If I'm at the movies and a commercial is in the trailers I can at least walk out. Printed ads I can simply ignore. My point is I have options.

So, what do ya'll think?

no one forced you to buy a ticket on usair. you are free to also bring your own laptop and watch a movie and use ear plugs.

What a hilarious post! I agree though... airline PA's on ALL US airlines are beyond annoying and come off as threats and warnings bla bla bla. The whole "the primary reason for us is your safety" crap is why American airlines come in DEAD LAST in ALL surveys for customer service surveys.

The other day I was on a 30 minute Lufthansa flight. The safety PA was brief, simple, and to the point. None of this "regulation" this and that, or warnings about interfering with bla bla...just a pleasant and calm announcement to "kindly pay attention to the safety demonstration and enjoy your Lufthsana experience". The 30 minute flight even had a full beverage and snack service! Hell the last 1:15 minute ASA ATR flight I was on had Shaniqua and Yolanda, both embarassingly large and unpleasant looking, sit in their jumpseat the entire flight and claim there was not enough time to complete a beverage service for the 20 or so passengers because of the "short duration of the flight"

Sadly Americans have become so complacent with this level of service that they just accept it as being ok! If this were to happen anywhere else in the world there would be outrage amongst the customers! They just dont stand for it! Time for us to do the same!

What a hilarious post! I agree though... airline PA's on ALL US airlines are beyond annoying and come off as threats and warnings bla bla bla. The whole "the primary reason for us is your safety" crap is why American airlines come in DEAD LAST in ALL surveys for customer service surveys.

The other day I was on a 30 minute Lufthansa flight. The safety PA was brief, simple, and to the point. None of this "regulation" this and that, or warnings about interfering with bla bla...just a pleasant and calm announcement to "kindly pay attention to the safety demonstration and enjoy your Lufthsana experience". The 30 minute flight even had a full beverage and snack service! Hell the last 1:15 minute ASA ATR flight I was on had Shaniqua and Yolanda, both embarassingly large and unpleasant looking, sit in their jumpseat the entire flight and claim there was not enough time to complete a beverage service for the 20 or so passengers because of the "short duration of the flight"

Sadly Americans have become so complacent with this level of service that they just accept it as being ok! If this were to happen anywhere else in the world there would be outrage amongst the customers! They just dont stand for it! Time for us to do the same!

I hate to beat a dead horse, but if you pay peanuts you get a CIRCUS!!!

So if I pay more you'll get off the PA?

I'm shocked to see pilots defend this. Personally, I agree with the original post.

So, I commuted to work today on US Air. Rode on mainline first leg (A320), then an RJ run by PSA.

I got a complaint and would like to see what ya'll think:

Where does USAir get off making me sit through a five and a half minute "infomercial" for their stupid USAir MasterCard?

How is it okay for them to put you in a place where you can not escape and blast nonsense over the PA?

Oh, and that's another point. It's the PA right? Every flight they tell you that "FAA regulations REQUIRE ALL passengers to comply with crewmembers instructions". So now it's a federal law that I listen to their infomercial? How is that right?

Who could you even complain to? USAir? Master Card? The FAA? My congressmen? Some advertising watchdog group? I don't know, I just don't think it's right. There should be a law.

So, what do ya'll think?

It's Simple ... Airlines are struggling to bring in all the cash they can from a variety of sources. It's a matter of survival, and every company is doing all they can to make ends meet.

US makes big bucks from their credit card. Personally, I think they go too far in promoting it, but that's their business, not mine. It's funny watching the FA's handing out CC apps, when they need to be serving cokes.

CLT airport is the worst. Hired hands tackle you as you walk thru the terminal to get you to sign up for the card.

That's still not as bad as the attendants in the bathroom, that watch you urinate, then hand you a paper towel, and then want a tip. I always feel like I'm in a cheap strip club in Las Vegas.

At JetBlue we promote our AMEX card on the TV screen for a moment or so, but that's it.

The next time you visit a video based ATM, you will be greeted by an infomercial as well.

Any industry that is struggling, MUST find other ways of creating income.

I'd rather see that, than just letting the company die for lack of imagination by management.

Just drink some decaf, tune it out, and enjoy your life.

DW

Latest resources

Back