Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whats more important to you? Rates or Sched/Rigs etc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
A simple poll.

Assuming little just go with your gut.

Would you rather have contract improvements in the form of a substantially higher rate of pay or a much more modest rate increase with substantial increases in your scheduling section to include better vacation protections, hours of service enhancements, and trip and duty rigs?

Sorry...I hit submit before I realized you couldn't post a poll in this forum.

Oh well.

Both are important, but good work rules on a mediocre hourly rate make for far better compensation than a higher rate with weak or no work rules. Without rules (like duty rigs and deadhead pay), you may find yourself working for 14 hours and getting paid for 2. Meanwhile, the guy at another company may be making a couple bucks less per flight hour, but gets paid for 7 of them to work that same day.

Good rules. Better contractual provisions will trigger that pay rate to occur more often. If you have a pay rate of $80/hour and negotiate new work rules that produce an average of 5 hours of additional credit per month that's $400/month. $400 divided by the usual min guarantee of 75 hours is $5.33.

Consider the work rules in this over-simplified case as raising an effective pay rate to $85.33/hour.

Better rules will give you better QOL, which is hard to put a price on as well.

Of course scope is the pinnacle of important.

I'm a more "work rules over rates" guy myself.

Both are important, but good work rules on a mediocre hourly rate make for far better compensation than a higher rate with weak or no work rules. Without rules (like duty rigs and deadhead pay), you may find yourself working for 14 hours and getting paid for 2. Meanwhile, the guy at another company may be making a couple bucks less per flight hour, but gets paid for 7 of them to work that same day.

Should be required reading for all my myopic mates at JB. Of course we haven't yet seen the supposed raises yet and I'll be skeptical up until I see it in BCSS.

Latest resources

Back