• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Whats more important to you? Rates or Sched/Rigs etc.

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
Total Time
4:30
A simple poll.

Assuming little just go with your gut.

Would you rather have contract improvements in the form of a substantially higher rate of pay or a much more modest rate increase with substantial increases in your scheduling section to include better vacation protections, hours of service enhancements, and trip and duty rigs?

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
Total Time
Sorry...I hit submit before I realized you couldn't post a poll in this forum.

Oh well.

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
Both are important, but good work rules on a mediocre hourly rate make for far better compensation than a higher rate with weak or no work rules. Without rules (like duty rigs and deadhead pay), you may find yourself working for 14 hours and getting paid for 2. Meanwhile, the guy at another company may be making a couple bucks less per flight hour, but gets paid for 7 of them to work that same day.

SpauldingSmails

Aboard the sloop.
Total Time
>7000
Good rules. Better contractual provisions will trigger that pay rate to occur more often. If you have a pay rate of $80/hour and negotiate new work rules that produce an average of 5 hours of additional credit per month that's $400/month. $400 divided by the usual min guarantee of 75 hours is $5.33.

Consider the work rules in this over-simplified case as raising an effective pay rate to $85.33/hour.

Better rules will give you better QOL, which is hard to put a price on as well.

Paul R. Smith

Fender Bender
Total Time
Of course scope is the pinnacle of important.

I'm a more "work rules over rates" guy myself.

JBPA

Total Time
K's
Both are important, but good work rules on a mediocre hourly rate make for far better compensation than a higher rate with weak or no work rules. Without rules (like duty rigs and deadhead pay), you may find yourself working for 14 hours and getting paid for 2. Meanwhile, the guy at another company may be making a couple bucks less per flight hour, but gets paid for 7 of them to work that same day.

Should be required reading for all my myopic mates at JB. Of course we haven't yet seen the supposed raises yet and I'll be skeptical up until I see it in BCSS.